The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying some dry fertz from aquariumfertilizer.com
should I go with the pre-mix or get the individual?
The pre-mix seems to be less hassle. Can I dose micros and macros on the same day rather than micros on one day then macros?
PMDD Pre-Mix

PMDD Pre-Mix 1 lb contains 1 part each of Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Plantex CSM+B.

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/index.asp?Option1=cats&Edit=2&EditU=1&Regit=2

or

• Micros -
    • Plantex CSM + B
  • Macros -
    • Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) -
    • Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) -
    • Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4) -
as always your input is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I mess with my own liquid mixes quite a bit, though I do things a bit differently. If you add KH2PO4 to CSM+B you'll end up with horrible precipitates and a spoiled batch of ferts.

If you don't add KH2PO4 or some other PO4 source, you're going to be missing out on the phosphates. This is something that won't necessarily prevent you from having a decent tank, but it is a concept on its way out as far as algae control goes.

If you've got a decent scale you may want to mix your own. Ordering these products individually would be less than half the cost per lb, and you could save even more given that you can pick up MgSO4 far cheaper in the grocery store when shipping is considered.

-Philosophos

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
I would pass on the PMDD premix. As mentioned, it does not contain phosphates, a required nutrient in planted tanks. While it may seem like less hassle, eventually, you will want to change the concentrations of fertilizers you are dosing, and this is when you will regret purchasing the PMDD mix.

You can dose micros and macros on the same day, since you will be diluting the fertilizers into a much larger volume (i.e. your aquarium). Mainly, the warning is against storing the two together in a bottle (as they are more concentrated).

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
There are very easy how-to's out there on dissolving a pre-measured amount of dry ferts into a known volume of distilled water, to make for precise dosing in liquid form. You'll save yourself tons of money in the process. You can just whip up a batch of macro solution, then another batch of micro solution, and bottle them separately. No worries about chemical reactions that way.

Here is a good bottle to store them in, which also doubles as a measuring device. I plan on getting a few of these in the near future...

But for now I'm just scooping each fert right out of its bag and dumping directly into the tank. It's no hassle at all.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so the verdict is in, looks like everyone prefered the individual not the premix package. Thank you everyone for your input.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Go individual, you get far more.

I'm assuming El Monte, CA, if so the water in So Cal is pretty hard, it has plenty of Mg and Ca in it already, no need for Epsom Salts.

If you want to dose all on the same day, I'd recommend dosing Macros in the morning and waiting til the afternoon to dose Micros. This is to prevent phosphate precipitating out the Iron in CSM+B. But I like dosing every morning, before lights are on, I make it part of my daily routine. Also it is far easier to dose them dry, buy a set of plastic measuring spoons at the grocery store, with EI you dont need very much precision, IMO.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
The PMDD is early '90's technology. It's premise is that phosphate causes algae.

Get:
KNO3
KH2PO4
GH Booster or Seachem's Equilibrium
maybe K2SO4 for potassium deficiencies
CSM+B or Flourish (comprehensive) or Tropica's Plant Nutrition liquid or other trace

EI: http://www.barrreport.com/estimative-index/2819-ei-light-those-less-techy-folks.html

Original EI Article: http://www.barrreport.com/estimative-index/62-estimative-index-dosing-no-need-test-kits.html

If you want to make two solutions with one container of macro's and one container of trace, check out this version of EI. I've used it and it works really good. But, I like to dose dry ferts separately and that's what I do now.
.http://www.barrreport.com/estimativ...accuracy-want-daily-pmdd-style-ei-dosing.html

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go individual, you get far more.

I'm assuming El Monte, CA, if so the water in So Cal is pretty hard, it has plenty of Mg and Ca in it already, no need for Epsom Salts.

If you want to dose all on the same day, I'd recommend dosing Macros in the morning and waiting til the afternoon to dose Micros. This is to prevent phosphate precipitating out the Iron in CSM+B. But I like dosing every morning, before lights are on, I make it part of my daily routine. Also it is far easier to dose them dry, buy a set of plastic measuring spoons at the grocery store, with EI you dont need very much precision, IMO.
Yes, El Monte, CA. I was trying to google my water content but couldn't find anything. Thanks the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts