The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this is a completely stupid question, but I'm new and can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I'm going to be dry dosing with Excel in a 10 gallon low-tech. Is there a special way to dump the dry ferts in? Should I dump them near the intake of the filter? Spread them throughout the tank? Thanks in advance!

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
You can either drop the dry ferts in front of the spray bar or spread over the tank. Eventually (somewhat quickly) the ferts will dissolve and spread through the tank anyway.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can either drop the dry ferts in front of the spray bar or spread over the tank. Eventually (somewhat quickly) the ferts will dissolve and spread through the tank anyway.
That's what I figured, but I always second guess myself. Thanks!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
just in the past week i changed the way i dose my tank. i used to just dump them in, generally near my spraybar and away from the fish. everytime i would do this, my fish would think it's feeding time and start attacking the ferts. like most things unappetizing to the fish, i'm fairly sure they would try to eat some & spit it back out but haven't really watched closely enough to know. i suspect some amount of ferts do get ingested in the feeding frenzy. so like a few others stated, i've started to dissolve them in a small dixie-type cup and then put it in. not sure if it helps or not, but it only takes a couple more seconds to do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.