The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a 46 gallon low light moderately planted tank. I just started following the sticky for dry dosing a 40 - 60 gallon tank. Following that dosing plan my nitrate level is still not readable. I am slowly adding more KNO3 and monitoring the nitrate levels. Do I have to worry about the additional potassium I am adding? Can it cause any ill effects?

Thank yo

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
If you're following the sticky, and you have low light, there's no way you don't have measurable amounts of nitrates. First make sure that the test kit isn't more than a couple years old. The batch number is the month and year of manufacture, and if it's the API test kit, it's printed at the top of the bottle.

Then read the instructions a couple more times. The nitrate test is surprisingly complicated. It's really important to shake the heck out of the bottle before mixing, and then shake the heck out of the tube after mixing.

If you're following the EI sticky, you're adding something like 1/2 tsp 3x per week. Is that correct?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The test kit is not that old and I have used it many many times without issue. I have double checked the tank several times now. It is a moderately planted tank with only one five inch piranha so there is not much waste being produced. Maybe tomorrow I will get a new test kit.

yes I am doing 1/2 tsp 3x per week

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The test kit is not that old and I have used it many many times without issue. I have double checked the tank several times now. It is a moderately planted tank with only one five inch piranha so there is not much waste being produced. Maybe tomorrow I will get a new test kit.

yes I am doing 1/2 tsp 3x per week
if it is moderately planted and low tech, there is NO WAY you are burning through that much nitrate. Calibrate your test kit or testing is a waste of time.

If you haven't shaken the bottle vigorously every time, it is time for a new one.

They go bad, and are usually old when we buy them.

I promise.

EI is based on surplus, and there is no way a non high tech, medium plant mass tank is burning through it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.