The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read on many forums and also looked at different firt calculators about dosing.
They seem to all be a little different and have different idea's.
I really like Quentons Nutri-Calc found on the Barr Report forum.

My questions are:

Is there any advantage to making solutions for dosing over just dry dosing all my firts. I have been dumping into my tank everything dry right off the spoon.
I have a 29 gallon tank thats about 1 1/2 years old, lots of plants & fish, medium light, pressurized C02, and Flourite.

I dose three times a week:
Kno3 1/4 tsp
K2s04 1/8 tsp
KH2PO4 1/16 tsp
off days CSM+B 1/8 tsp and just recently started dosing just a little extra Iron.
This is based on the preset targets set in Quentons Nutri-Calc of:
Nitrate 20, Phosphate 3.0, Potassium 30, & Traces .5

My KH is 5.5
PH 6.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate about 20

Another question:
I have some plants with twisted leaves. I read that this could be do to low Calcium. I believe it was suggested that I add baking soda, But with my water parameters, would I still want to add baking soda? and if so, how much and when?

Thank you
Joe

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
The advantage of solutions is that you can dose with higher precision. Imagine you had a nano, and want to dry-dose KH2PO4. Gotta be tough. For larger tanks, I don't see any advantage to mixing solutions.

Of course, I don't really dry-dose either... I use different forms of automatic dosing, which then could be using solutions again, so there you go...

Baking soda doesn't provide any calcium, so if your plants need calcium, don't up your baking soda. I believe you can dose CaCl2 (not sure), check your GH, this is what measures Ca and Mg and a few others.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wrong. It wasn't baking soda, it was Calcium chloride that was suggested. I don't know what that is. I don't use any baking soda at all.
My GH reads 150 ppm on a dip stick test which I don't believe is to be very accurate. I don't know how that translates into degrees.
It seems like it should be fine to me. But why else would my leaves be twisted.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it possible that using Carbon in my filter is stripping out what my plants need to grow straight and causing them to curl and be deformed?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dry ferts and twisted leaves...

I have only a 33 gal and dose Magnesium and sometimes Boron dry. Everything else is in solution; Iron and trace (PMDD style without KNO3), Potassium, Phosphate, Nitrate. Really happy with it, no need to use a scale, just an eyedropper an go...

I will probably have a big tank soon (400Gal) I will probably dose dry in this one.

Twisted leaves:
I think that Calcium is rarely low in freswater but Calcium uptake seem to be upset by other factors
• Like low or high pottassium
• Some find that high nitrate have the same effect in calcium

PS: You should invest in a Calcium test it is not expensive and it give you the magnesium level in a bonus...

My Ludwigias used to be crinkled and twisted.

I lower my Potassium dose and bring my Nitrate around and lower than 5mg/l and they became what a Ludwigia is supposed to be.
The rest of the plant seem to benefit...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.