The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so i work at "that fish place"(fish supplies) and i had a 33 flatback pentagon tank proir to working there. i also have a chinese waterdragon witch has here own 4'x6'x18" enclosure, and a few terrariums. so a few weeks back i dissasembled a terrarium i had and so i decided i would try a planted tank. sofar it has gone pretty well...

Tank:perfecto 20H
light:coralife 24 inch 65w freshwater fixture, 15w t8 fixture
Filter/Equipment:Ehiem classic plus(2213), marineland heater, marineland powerhead.
substrate:flourite black(river stones as top layer)
Co2:milwaukee MA957 regulator, 10lbs tank, powerhead diffusion
Treaments:dry ferts
Plants:dwarf Subulata, Sagittaria Subulata, Broadleaf Sagittaria, Water Wisteria, Moss(Chladophora aegagrophila), Watersprite, marsilea hirsuta, anacharis, javamoss, oval leaf ludwigia and broad leaf ludwigia, and some kind of wendentii
Fish:as of now 2 Blue Danios, sunset gourami, 3 otto cats, female sorwdtail, a black rainbow shark and the few snails i picked up from my plants

pics
curent scape

(first scape)

oh and my other tank, bad pics i know, it looks so much better in person...

just thought i would throw these up its just one of my terriums

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thnx i think it looks good and so does everyone at my work...i think i might need to invest in a co2 system...thnx

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
You might want to nix the airstone. It drives the CO2 out of the water. DIY CO2 is inexpensive and easy.

The 2nd tank looks like it might be plastic plants. Are they real?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i kinda liked the airstone...ill turn it off and see if the plants do better....and yes the second is all plastic, its been set up for a few years so its alil old but it looks good IMO and i dont wana tear it down, i almost did take it down for a saltwater tank but decided not to....i might go with that red sea bio system...or i might just try to pick me up a pressurized system....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so i had to do some moving around with some plants....some didnt make it, i added some riccia and some more wood....need to get ferts so plants do better...oh and also set up a DYI co2 system...

·
Registered
155 Posts
hey i like your tank and you have a really nice terrarium. Once the plants fill in your tank surely it will look really nice :). What kind of fish are you planning to put in your tank?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
basically what i have now...yesterday i put in a pleco and a rainbow shark....and have been thinking of either putting in a graumi or sorwdtail from my other tank....i also redid my DYI co2 system...i call it semi-pressurized...i will explain later, with a diagram for those who care to see it....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha no one at this time...there was a big eyed tree frog but he decided to leave....so im gonna wait till it grows some more and then think about somthing else....

·
Registered
386 Posts
I love that wood. The first tank looks much better than the second one to be honest. I like that terrarium. It looks as natural as the first aquarium. That's a lot of plants. Lookin good. I was thinking of setting up a DIY CO2. Any advice on that? Check out my journal.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well my planted tanks cureents state im not to happy bout. I did lose some plants so it looks kinda wierd. Im trying to get some more. Thnx for the comments on the terrium. As far as Co2 its not to complicated i did get alil complex but it is simple look at some of the threads about it

oh and bana plants are awsome...we sell them at my work...i was tempted to get some:D

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
pretty nice tank. Just 2 points

- some FG plants will be good
- you have most of the wood and rock hidden behind the plants. You might want to bring them forward and be more prominent. Don't worry about the stem plants. They will eventually grow taller than any of the wood or rocks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its funny you say that about the pleco, when i took it apl apart i found himin the corner dead, i knew he was missing tho, thats kinda why i took it all apart.

As far as my hardscape i kinda like the way it is i like to just be able to see them but not too much. And im also tryin to get some glosso but
No luck yet :(

Thnx for the comments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so i have added a good amount of plants, and also removed some for the shrimp tank....i also bought me a pressurized co2 system..and bumped up to about 90 watts of light..i also added 3 otto cats to help with the algae, heres some pics

its a milwakuee (sp?) MA957 IIRC...its nice its an all in one..i got it for about 70$ brand new...pretty good for what it is

by the way im looking for some glosso for another tank if anybody has some let me know...thnx

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok so this was yesterday before i tore it down, look at the explosion in growth since i added the co2...about a month later

sry the lighting makes it look funny

ok so i tore it all down yesterday to transfer everything into my new tank....and here it is...a journal will follow in a few days, with more pictures

1 - 18 of 18 Posts