The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have lost a fish a week for the past % weeks or so.
All of them from dropsy
i just bought a little green machine and have been running it to try and help stop this outbreak.

29 gallons
gh 30
kh 40
ph 6.5
no2 0
no3 5-10

what should i do?
what about running the sterilizer 24/7

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
turn off the uv and try a round of maracyn 2... after you finish the round of antibiotic, you can turn the uv back on.
UV breaks down the meds too.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
You can treat the whole tank, but it really depends on the species. Some won't tolerate it well and others will be fine.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
uv off, on way to lfs for maracyn ...
Here's a tip. Maracyn can be a bit confusing. ... Make sure that you get Maracyn-Two and not Maracyn (One). They are different. Maracyn-Two is for gram-negative bacterial infections and Maracyn (One) is for gram-positive bacterial infections.

Mardel also has other Maracyn products like Maracyn Plus and Maracyn-TC.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I used Mardel's 1 and 2 together, back when I got fish diseases.
This worked very well for Dropsy.

You have not been taking care of the aquarium and keeping a good eye on the fish. It's extremely rare otherwise.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have not been taking care of the aquarium and keeping a good eye on the fish. It's extremely rare otherwise.

Regards,
Tom Barr[/quote]

not quite sure what you are getting at?
I maintain my tank on a daily basis.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Taking good care includes not overfeeding, removing all dead and dying plant matter immediately, doing big water changes every week or so, using a dechlorinator with every addition of tap water, keeping the water temperature relatively steady and not too high or low, quarantining new fish and plants for a couple of weeks or longer, not allowing a big buildup of mulm on the substrate, etc. All of the maintenance routine stuff, in other words.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
any chance this is in the food?
Up until this out break i had been feeding a pinch of frozen blood worms daily.
I used an anti bacterial food recommended by the local yoda at lfs for 10 days and they stopped dying.
Went back to blood worms, one week later another pine cone scarlet badis.
I stopped feeding blood worms and have gone to regular old flake food and have not had any dropsy for weeks now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts