The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. This place looks wonderful! I've had three reef tanks in my home for four years now, and I am just setting up my first freshwater planted tank, and I'm hoping for a thought on something.

I bought a SeaClear 46-gallon bowed tank. I need a chiller, so I have to drop a small submersible pump into a back corner of the tank to feed the chiller. It probably should not sit on the substrate! One idea I had was to glue a long, narrow piece of Plexiglass into the back corner, running from the bottom of the tank to the desired water level, and drop the pump into this well. But that seems too permanent, and I'm not sure what to use for glue. Another idea was to somehow support a 4-inch or so section of PVC pipe in the corner, but that would be ugly. Or just set a plastic (clay?) flower pot on the bottom and sit the pump in that. But it would probably collect gunk and foul the pump. Maybe the easiest is to just hang the pump mid-height, suspended by the tubing and cord.

Has anyone here faced this and come up with a good solution? I'd love to have this done right before I fill the tank. Thanks!

Tim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A cannister filter is another possibility. It certainly avoids the problem of placing a submersible pump. But the thing is, I've got cannister filters on each of my three reef tanks, and I get very, very tired of regularly opening them up, cleaning the filter, replacing the media, putting it all back together again, and getting the siphon started again if it failed. I swore I would not burden myself with a cannister on this freshwater tank. I don't know how it is with freshwater, but with saltwater, if I don't maintain the cannister at least once a month it gets all gunky. Still, I'm remaining open to the possibility.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Need for chiller

We live in north-east PA, which is not a hot area. But we have quite a few summer days when it gets into the 90's. We do not have any A/C in our house, so the tank would get into the high 80s with no chiller. My understanding is that this would be very bad for the fish, most of which (according to my research) like about 72-78 degrees. I have chillers on all three of my reef tanks, and they run 24/7 much of the day in July and August just to keep the water at 82 degrees. Of course, the reef lighting adds a lot of heat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts