The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after getting my regulator today and telling my wife I won't be needing to buy anything else for my 46 gallon tank.....I think I need to buy a drop checker.
Is there a preferred source for drop checkers? Any particular vendors offer them at a terrific price or anything? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I make them. They are acrylic check the last page of my 20 gal journal and there are pics there of what they look like. Their not all pretty like the glass ones but then I only charge 5 bucks shipped. and most importantly. They work.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I make them. They are acrylic check the last page of my 20 gal journal and there are pics there of what they look like. Their not all pretty like the glass ones but then I only charge 5 bucks shipped. and most importantly. They work.
I couldn't see your drop checker unless its those cylindrical pieces with suction cups , if you ship them here I take 2.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Some of those are very nice on ebay. Problem is I never by overseas on ebay, have ahd problems in the past. Last I checked there wasnt any ADA knockoffs being sold in the US? Has that changed?

I have an idea for making one using a small baby food jar and a small white funnel. Havent gotten past the idea phase but am planning on trying to make it soon.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
So after getting my regulator today and telling my wife I won't be needing to buy anything else for my 46 gallon tank.....I think I need to buy a drop checker.
Is there a preferred source for drop checkers? Any particular vendors offer them at a terrific price or anything? Thanks.
There's a Red Sea CO2 Indicator. It doesn't give an accurate reading with a KH lower than 4° according to the instructions. They recommend at least 5°. The white background on this drop checker makes it easy to see the color.

Here it is: http://redseafish.com/Product.asp?dir=y&catID=100&subID=64&proID=231

Big Al's carries them for $7.99: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18478/si1380875/cl0/redseaco2indicator

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
There's a Red Sea CO2 Indicator. It doesn't give an accurate reading with a KH lower than 4° according to the instructions. They recommend at least 5°. The white background on this drop checker makes it easy to see the color.

Here it is: http://redseafish.com/Product.asp?dir=y&catID=100&subID=64&proID=231

Big Al's carries them for $7.99: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18478/si1380875/cl0/redseaco2indicator
Is their indicator solution any different then any of the regular pH indicator solutions? You know you have to set that KH to match with the amount of co2 you want to indicate right? If I remember 4* puts you at 30ppm and 5* is more around 40, have to use that chart to figure it out. I've got one of thier units, must be an older one since there is no white in it.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Is their indicator solution any different then any of the regular pH indicator solutions? You know you have to set that KH to match with the amount of CO2 you want to indicate right? If I remember 4° puts you at 30ppm and 5° is more around 40, have to use that chart to figure it out. I've got one of their units, must be an older one since there is no white in it.
The indicator fluid #51656 doesn't tell it's contents. It says that it is flammable though.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have had great luck with this person...toponebrian right now it looks like the price has dropped to $24 shipped.

I have spent hundreds with him and everything has come in perfect shape but if there was any problems a single email had replacements on the way!

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have had great luck with this person...toponebrian right now it looks like the price has dropped to $24 shipped.

I have spent hundreds with him and everything has come in perfect shape but if there was any problems a single email had replacements on the way!
Your link doesn't work.I'm interested in trying one ,Blacksunshine if you could answer my question ,a couple of posts above,I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I couldn't see your drop checker unless its those cylindrical pieces with suction cups , if you ship them here I take 2.
Yep thats them. I made a bunch as a practice run. they are all accounted for. however next week I will be getting more materials and will have more avalible. Soon.

If you cannot wait I may have a couple of the ones I used in testing. They work just the same. just they've been in my tank. Not that thats a bad thing.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yep thats them. I made a bunch as a practice run. they are all accounted for. however next week I will be getting more materials and will have more avalible. Soon.

If you cannot wait I may have a couple of the ones I used in testing. They work just the same. just they've been in my tank. Not that thats a bad thing.
I'll pm you my address.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.