The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am low on my CO2Art drop checker solution so I went online to order more. It is cheap but they want 3 times the cost of the bottle to ship from the UK to my US address.

So my question is are most name brands pretty equal? Can I just get some ADA or NilocG or Seachem and call it a day?

Do any stand out in terms of accuracy?

I did do a search but mainly found old threads...

Thanks!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. It is appreciated.

So now I am off in the weeds needing a little education. Both of these are for 4DKH reference solutions. Then what? Is there an additional chemical that does the color change magic in the presence of CO2?

To be honest I am a science kind of guy but think that I would like to find a quality ready made solution. Considering the expense of a large rimless tank that is well stocked I do not mind paying $15 for a bottle that will last for months :)

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It is appreciated.

So now I am off in the weeds needing a little education. Both of these are for 4DKH reference solutions. Then what? Is there an additional chemical that does the color change magic in the presence of CO2?

To be honest I am a science kind of guy but think that I would like to find a quality ready made solution. Considering the expense of a large rimless tank that is well stocked I do not mind paying $15 for a bottle that will last for months :)
Yes, you are looking for bromothymol blue. The bulk chemical is sold as a powder, which needs to be diluted.

However, usually for consumer use, it is sold in solution, so you just need to add a few drops into your drop checker (along with the 4 dkH reference solution)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Instead of the bro... blue thing can I just put some drop of the API PH test solution (blue) into the 4KH water?

Anyone? I saw the instructions in a YouTube vid and have been doing this (mixing API PH test kit liquid and Green Leaf Aquarium's 4 dKH solution), and wonder if that's actually the correct thing to do.

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Instead of the bro... blue thing can I just put some drop of the API PH test solution (blue) into the 4KH water?

Anyone? I saw the instructions in a YouTube vid and have been doing this (mixing API PH test kit liquid and Green Leaf Aquarium's 4 dKH solution), and wonder if that's actually the correct thing to do.
Yes, the API pH test solution (the normal range one, not the high range pH test kit) is a solution of bromothymol blue and can be used.

Add a few drops to get a nice, solid blue colour and you should be set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.