The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it came in the mail today with "CO2 test" solution. Says to add 5 drops and some tank water.

Do I need to add any ph solution?

I've read about using both, but didn't really understand it.

Chris

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bottle of "CO2 test" is orange not blue at all like the vidies I've seen.

I thought the "CO2 test" bottle was the 4dkh water. I really don't feel like waiting on the mail again.

Is there anywhere I can buy a all-in-one liquid to pour into this thing?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
It doesn't work like that (an all in one liquid). The 4dKh solution can be made by yourself as previously mentioned, so you wouldn't have to wait on the mail if you can find yourself a digi scale. The pH regent that came with your drop checker is the same stuff that you use when you test your pH with a liquid test kit. This needs to be added to your 4dKh solution because it will adjust colors depending on the relative CO2 concentration just like it would based upon the relative pH, which is in fact what it is doing. If that makes sense :)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The bottle of "CO2 test" is orange not blue at all like the vidies I've seen.

I thought the "CO2 test" bottle was the 4dkh water. I really don't feel like waiting on the mail again.

Is there anywhere I can buy a all-in-one liquid to pour into this thing?
The orange drops turn blue in the water. You shouldn't use tank water (use 4dKH like someone mentioned).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a digital scale that tells me 1.00 grams, but not .01 grams. Also don't have 500 and 50 ml cylinders. So making it myself would be very hard.

As far as looking up this info. I did and read to pour the 4dKH in there. They mention pH, but not what to do with it. I had pH and could get it down at the pet shop.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
You don't necessarily need 4dkh water. That is what most people use and I recommend it. If you want to make your own and you end up with 5dkh or 3, as long as you understand what color will show up at what PPM, you are fine. For someone new to CO2, that may not be the best idea though.

If you want to get started now, you don't need a drop checker, though it is helpful. Start with a very low bubble count, like 1bps or less. Then, slowly increase it until you see the most mild sign of stress. I mean slow, not kind of slow. Stress, I mean any sign of stress.

With a 4dkh solution, you are striving to get 30 PPM, more or less. But, having 15 PPM is still beneficial or 20. So, you can start before you get the solution, just go slow and watch your fish. Never make adjustments when you won't be home for most of the day.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had CO2 since 2006 in a 55gal. Then I just did 2bps. Now in a 15gal I want to check it better.

I ebayed some 4dkh.

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts