The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Co2 kicks on at 9:30 am and the lights kick on at 12 noon. Yet when the light come on at noon the drop checker is still blue. At around 4:pm it's green but turns yellow by 7:30pm when the Co2 kicks off. Why is it taking so long to get enough Co2 into the tank? I have the Co2 ran in to the intake on a power head and it is pressurized Co2. The drop checker solution I got from Sumo so I know it's has a 4dKH. All the plants are growing fine except my H. difformis which looks like it's reverting back to it emersed growth under water???

What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
683 Posts
How powerful a power head do you have running the CO2? And type of filter? Only thing I can think of is that the flow in your tank isn't dispersing the CO2 quickly enough around the tank, or at least to where your drop checker is located. Also, have any surface agitation? If so, maybe it's too much, so you're pumping in more CO2 than necessary, in order to catch up w/ what you're degassing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also feels you do not have a well circulated tank. My drop checker turns green in abt an hour after it kick in. Probably you can set the CO2 kick in time inline with your lights,but increase a bit on BPS, need not to have it on 2 1/2 hr before.

K.C

·
Super Moderator
11,986 Posts
Try measuring the Co2. KHxPH=Co2. Im at work so i cant link the chart.
Unfortunately, you cannot use the CO2/kH/pH relationship as there are various other factors that contribute to kH inside the aquarium. As a result, a drop checker is the best way to check your CO2 levels.

Or you are simply not injecting enough co2.
+1. I believe you are not injecting enough CO2. You mentioned that you are using a HOB filter; this in itself is likely off gasing more CO2 than you are injecting (or off gassing at a rate faster than at the rate you are injecting the CO2).

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Unfortunately, you cannot use the CO2/kH/pH relationship as there are various other factors that contribute to kH inside the aquarium. As a result, a drop checker is the best way to check your CO2 levels.
Interesting. News to me.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1. I believe you are not injecting enough CO2. You mentioned that you are using a HOB filter; this in itself is likely off gasing more CO2 than you are injecting (or off gassing at a rate faster than at the rate you are injecting the CO2).
There is nothing in my post about a HOB filter. I said that I am injecting the co2 in to the intake on a power head. I have a canister filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts