The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 20 gallon long aquarium, and currently I am running a DIY Co2 setup using two 2L bottles to store citric acid and baking soda. I placed my aquario neo diffuser next to a power head so the Co2 could be spread out better, but despite all this my drop checker refuses to change color. Is there something wrong with my drop checker or do I need to add more Co2. Also the drop checker liquid has been in there for less than a week and the Co2 at the time of the recording had been running for at least 2 hours.

·
Registered
298 Posts
This is a 20 gallon long aquarium, and currently I am running a DIY Co2 setup using two 2L bottles to store citric acid and baking soda. I placed my aquario neo diffuser next to a power head so the Co2 could be spread out better, but despite all this my drop checker refuses to change color. Is there something wrong with my drop checker or do I need to add more Co2. Also the drop checker liquid has been in there for less than a week and the Co2 at the time of the recording had been running for at least 2 hours.
Dude, if u made a diy co2, this shouldnt be an issue to understand. Actually check the method u using, pipes, hm co2 u releasing due to hm is being absorbed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Drop checkers are generally ineffective at determining actual CO2 levels. They're useful to see if something is dramatically wrong, but typically pH drop is a much more accurate indicator. Typically you want the pH of your water with CO2 to be roughly 1.0 lower than your pH level without CO2. Measure the pH of water without CO2 before your CO2 kicks in, and also measure your pH once you think CO2 in the tank has stabilized (ie 2 hours after it's been on).

With a powerhead you're likely to get a lot more surface agitation, which could result in more CO2 being lost to the atmosphere as opposed to being diffused into the water. So I would sat it's likely that you'll need to increase your CO2 input into the tank.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Drop checkers are known to show the status as was couple hours ago. So if the co2 was started only 2 hours previous to when you checked, it would be an incorrect value.

Also 1 bps is lesser for a 20 G tank. Crank it up to 2-3 bps and check out the drop checker after injecting for at least 3 hours. When you crank up the co2 watch your fish very closely for gasping or distress and lower co2 accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.