The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone else have trouble reading the color of the drop checker? its not just me is it.
i find that the color of the leaves in the plant give it a yellowish color to it

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok so the wheels have been slowly turning.

would this not be an improved method of a drop checker?
you could use the co2 kh/ph chart and get an accurate reading
dropchecker.jpg

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that is the same drop checker that i have. i think i'm gonna switch to the oracle style.

but the idea that i'm trying to work with right now is to have a ph probe inside of a drop checker to try to get an accurate number instead of either "too much" "ok" or "too little"

and you could even make a different ph meter that, instead of displaying ph, would show co2 in ppm

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
does anyone else have trouble reading the color of the drop checker? its not just me is it.
i find that the color of the leaves in the plant give it a yellowish color to it.
You can paint one side of your drop checker white. Someone on this forum uses his wife's white fingernail polish on his.

As mentioned, the Oracle drop checker has a white section, but so does the much cheaper Red Sea drop checker.

and you could even make a different ph meter that, instead of displaying ph, would show co2 in ppm
Tom Barr has a CO2 meter and it costs well over $1000. Maybe even $2000. A pH meter doesn't measure CO2 levels. It measures pH. There are many more things that influence the pH level than CO2.

you could use the co2 kh/ph chart and get an accurate reading
The CO2/pH/KH table isn't calibrated for the shades of color that Bromothymol blue changes at various pH levels.

If you can find a very good low range freshwater pH test color card that is rather accurate. That is the way to go because this particular pH kit use Bromothymol blue as its indicator. The pH card on the right is an example, but not a really good one.

pH color cards

Double Check drop checker

CO2/pH/KH table

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have a ton of trouble reading different colors. when i put something white behind it i still get reflections from around the tank that throw off the color for me. that little white plug in the middle of the oracle drop checker makes it a little easier

i usually have to have my girlfriend read the results of any of the tests that i take.

G

·
You can paint one side of your drop checker white. Someone on this forum uses his wife's white fingernail polish on his.
Krylon fushion white works great when you tape half of the drop checker off and spray the back half of it. I sprayed mine white then after the white dried I sprayed black Krylon so this way it didnt stick out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts