The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am using the solution that came with my drop checker from green leaf aquariums... i have the double check drop checker... my indicator solution turns yellow and wont go back to green or blue if i pull it out of the tank and let it sit for a while.. (10-15 min)
i am running co2 24/7 at around 5 bps on a 125 gal tank...

i am using pressurized co2

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
i am using the solution that came with my drop checker from green leaf aquariums... i have the double check drop checker... my indicator solution turns yellow and wont go back to green or blue if i pull it out of the tank and let it sit for a while.. (10-15 min)
i am running co2 24/7 at around 5 bps on a 125 gal tank...

i am using pressurized co2
10-15 minutes is to short..Have you tried at least 1 hour?

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
Is your problem that the 4 dkH solution is turning yellow immediately after adding the pH reagent? If not, then ignore my previous question.

However, as people have mentioned, if your solution is turning clearer after a few days, you can simply add more bromothymol blue (the pH reagent) to the 4 dkH water to provide a deeper colour.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i tested it again when i did a waterchange yesterday... this time changed color. but not back to blue... just a green with a hint of blue... i took it out of my tank and suctioned it to the outside of the tank for about 1.5 hrs

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
i tested it again when i did a waterchange yesterday... this time changed color. but not back to blue... just a green with a hint of blue... i took it out of my tank and suctioned it to the outside of the tank for about 1.5 hrs
Try shaking the liquid inside the drop checker a bit. Often times, the surface of the liquid inside the drop checker changes colour first before the rest of the liquid.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Your drop checker solution may be getting contaminated with tap water, aquarium water, etc. It only takes a tiny amount to contaminate the few mils inside the drop checker and get false readings.

This is what I do to remedy it. I have some soft plastic (disposable) 1mL, 3mL and 5mL pipettes with 'long' narrow tips. Either size works.

I squeeze on the pipette and insert it into the drop checker to pull the old solution out and the dispose of it. I get some fresh drop checker solution in the pipette and squirt it in the drop checker. I swish it around a bit. Then I draw it out and dispose of it. Now I get some fresh drop checker solution in the pipette, swish it around and dispose of it. Now I get some more fresh drop checker solution and add it to the drop checker. (You can repeat the previous steps if you think that it is still contaminated.)

This should help you to get more accurate readings from your drop checker. I do these steps every time that I need to add fresh solutions.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
I hope that it works for you. Is there any chance that your DC has hole(s) or crack(s)?

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
It works good and it is easy. My batch turned out to be 4.26 dKH and I used it. I didn't have all of the correct equipment at the time when I made it, but they were good enough.

At the time, the only set of scales that I had to use measured to one decimal place instead of two, but they were a good quality set of digital scales. I didn't have a 500 mL graduated cylinder either. My largest one was 100 mL, but I used it. Since then, I have picked up a better set of scales that measure to 3 decimal places, but I still need a 500 mL graduated cylinder.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts