The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a drop checker, from e-bay, that should be arriving soon. I dont think it's going to come with instructions but I've done some research and think I know how to get it going. Fill it half way with 4dkh solution, add the regent, put it in the tank just below the surface and let it do its thing. My question is about the ph regent. I've read that I can use the ph test solution from my API kit. Is that true? If so, how many drops should I add?

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Bromothymol blue is the indicator used in your low range freshwater pH API kit.

I think that SuMo and GLA have the pH indicator already mixed in their 4dKH solutions. I'm not positive though.

If you have separate solutions, add enough drops so that you can read it good.

Also, you may want to paint the backside of your DC a white color. It makes it easier to read. Someone uses white fingernail polish on his.

The pictures below show how dark that they can be.

·
Super Moderator
11,991 Posts
I've read that I can use the ph test solution from my API kit. Is that true? If so, how many drops should I add?
As Left C mentioned, yes you can use the pH test solution from the (normal range) pH test kit that API produces.

You need to add as many drops as it takes so that you can see the colour easily (but not so much that it is completely opaque). For a 5 mL volume, I usually add ~6-8 drops.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
Dumps fluids are "plug and play"
Some are, and some aren't. Some fluids have the indicator solution, bromothymol blue added, some are simply water with a specific KH.

Ask before you order would be my advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts