The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I would like to thank everyone who created, maintains, and contributes to this community. I have learned so much information from this site that has been invaluable to getting my first planted tank up and running successfully!

I do have a quick question in regards to my drop checker. I recently put it back in my tank after being out for a bit and now it doesn't seem to be working correctly. It seems that as soon as I put the solution into the checker it starts to turn green. It does this when it is out of the tank and it happens almost instantly. Is it possible that I accidentally contaminated it at some point? If so is it possible to clean it somehow and resolve that?

I'm using a glass drop checker from Green Leaf Aquariums (CAL AQUA LABS Oracle Drop Checker | Green Leaf Aquariums). I am also using indicator solution from them.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Matthew

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
@Straight_Shooter My drop checker is blue when the water level drops during a water change, the co2 concentration in water doesn't correlate with the air's. That is why we must pump co2 in to reach that 30 ppm. It is also why it outgasses so easily. Try to rinse the DC out? Try getting new solution, maybe it was contaminated and reacts with some residue in the checker

·
Registered
131 Posts
First I have to say I am also new to the planted tank scene but have learned everything I know from this wonderful forum.

I just thought I'd chime in as I experienced the same issue.. Have you rinsed your drop checker? I found that after rinsing mine the solution turned instantly green. I figured this was due to some residual tap water in it. The solution reacted with the tap water displaying the green color corresponding to the ph scale of the tap water itself. I further rinsed it and allowed it to dry completely. I then added the solution again and it did stay blue before putting it into my tank.

I'm running 2 bubbles per second in my 75G and my levels seem pretty stable. I'm running 8am-4pm with a planted + 24/7.

Hope my experience can be of help although I'm far from an expert. I do consider myself well informed, once again credit going to the forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.