The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my drop checker and would like to know if anyone is having the same prob and what the solution is. when I added the 4dkh solution and 3 drops of ph reagent, the solution started off dark green. (I have read that it should be blue.). I put it in my tank anyways and it turned slightly lighter green. My co2 is turned on 24, 7. I have the drop checker in for almost 2 hours now.

My question is, since it started off dark green, should I assume that the color turn to yellow/lime green to have a 30ppm co2?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I had that happen using the pH reagent included with a cheap import drop checker.

I don't know if it would have been accurate within a tank, as I immediately emptied it out and tried again using the pH reagent from my pH test kit; which gave me the expected blue.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I had that happen using the pH reagent included with a cheap import drop checker.

I don't know if it would have been accurate within a tank, as I immediately emptied it out and tried again using the pH reagent from my pH test kit; which gave me the expected blue.
I had the same experience, so I just dumped the stuff that came with the DC.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad to know that I'm not "the person" that does not know how to read instructions. :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think the water you used may have been the problem because it came straight out of the bottle. I used nestle spring water on my last drop check fill because it turns out it is 4kh. Poured straight out of the bottle the drop check was green. I dumped it and this time poured the water into a bowl and stirred it up to aerate it out and dissolve any existing co2 and only thrn added it to the checker - this time it was blue as it should be.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
+1 on the drops. I sell a ton of drop checkers. I stopped buying the cheap china ph drops, because some customers were complaining. Most of them told me that it worked once in the tank for a while, but I didn't want to keep selling a cheap product. Now I just tell my customers to use a ph test kit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts