The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I check the accuracy of my drop checker ? I'm using one for the first time and this morning I wake up and its still green. I have a feeling I did something wrong and its inaccurate.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I can think of one way to test it.
Set it up in a glass of club soda. There is so much more CO2 in that, I would expect the drop checker to turn yellow.
I have no way of knowing what the actual amount of CO2 is, just that that is an extreme.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It may be so opaque because of the number of ph drops you used. Three seems to be enough in my drop checker. You only need to add enough to give it enough color to make it easy to see. The more drops of ph indicator you use, the deeper (stronger? more intense? whatever - you get what I mean) the color will be.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It may be so opaque because of the number of ph drops you used. Three seems to be enough in my drop checker. You only need to add enough to give it enough color to make it easy to see. The more drops of ph indicator you use, the deeper (stronger? more intense? whatever - you get what I mean) the color will be.
Ditto on CytoEric on the number of drops. The article I sent in my other post says to use 1.5 mil 4dkh and 3 drops of ph fluid. This is what I'm using and it works great for me and my plants grow like crazy no algae
and fish are healthy.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tip. Ill try 3 ph drops. A big problem is how dark it is.

Im using pressurized co2 through a regular ceramic diffuser. The diffuser is positioned deep/low and a few inches out from under the filter outlet for circulation.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
While it may make it easier to read, changing the number of drops higher or lower will do nothing to change the color of the d/c, only its intensity.

Your problem has nothing to do with the number of pH drops you use. It could be that you're not actually using 4dKH, or it could be that you have very little surface agitation to aid in the gassing-off of CO2 during off hours. Or even that you're continuing to inject CO2 through the lights-off hours.

I'd first make reasonably sure that you've got 4dKH in there, and not tap or tank water, and then that you've got some surface agitation (a powerhead or spraybar directed toward the surface, enough to produce ripples but not waves), and then check again tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im reasonably sure on all accounts and for some reason I wake up and its still green. The photo period ends a bit late because I'm better able to enjoy the aquariums at night. Do you think that could be the problem ? It just hasnt been enough time ? How many hours do you feel it takes your checker to return to blue ? Edit: For clarification. My checker started blue and took about 2 hours to turn light green @ 2ish bps.

Setup: Ignor the powerhead. That was there for testing but remained off in this test. Ignor basically everything stylistic. Arrangement is there so I dont have to look at an empty aquarium while I cycle and plan. ;) Plants are damaged from traveling. I hope I can recover :(

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I wonder if the circulation you are creating looks like this:

CO2 bubbles rise.
Filter outlet sheets them across the surface, where they leave the aquarium.
Water hits the far side and passes by the DC, which is recording accurately. Very little CO2 remains in the tank after being exposed to the air.

Try this:
Put the CO2 right under the plants, so their leaves trap some of it, and where the water is calmer.
Another thing to try:
Put the CO2 on the tank wall where the flow from the filter is going down. Make it take as long as possible before it gets anywhere near the surface.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Put the CO2 on the tank wall where the flow from the filter is going down. Make it take as long as possible before it gets anywhere near the surface.
Yeah see, I thought my placement was doing this. From the position in the pic I can make the aquarium look like 7up. What do you mean "where the flow from the filter is going down" ? Thank you. I'm going to try everything you mentioned.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You need to keep the co2 bubbles in the tank as long as you can so try putting the defuser opisite of your filter output so the current down flow will take the bubbles towards the bottom. Also it looks to me like your drop counter is a little deal in the tank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.