The Planted Tank Forum banner

Drooping Staurogyne Repens

3371 Views 14 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  ed.junior
Hello, I am relatively new to the planted tank scene, but have done lots of research. I have had overwhelming success with my first tank, a 20 long but recently noticed my S. Repens leaves drooping. Ive looked around and cant seem to find any solid information on why this happens! Any help is sincerely appreciated!

Specs:
-Tank: 20 Long
-Lighting: Current USA+
-Filter: Fluval 206+hydor koralia nano 240 for extra flow
-Substrate: Altum Aquasoil
-CO2: Excel 3ml daily
-Ferts: 1/8 tsp. Kno3 2x a week (Macros)
1/16 KH2PO4 2x per week (Macros)
2ml Seachem flourish 2x per week (micros)
-WC Schedule: 50% water changes (tap water)+1/8 tsp. equillibrium
(Dosing system based off Tom Barr's excel EI)

Attached are the photos of the drooping S. Repens

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ive gotten all my S. Repens from TC sources so I dont think its emersed growth, but may be melting from a period of shading/bad flow (too big hardscape in too litttle of a tank, which I recently removed when I realized the problem). I am also not running preassurized co2, only 3ml of flourish daily (trying to kickstart growth with my main goal being to switch back to low tech once the desired growth is achieved). My problem is that other stems, even those that had never been affected by the aforementioned conditions are drooping. The lower leaves are also constantly getting GSA even with my PO4 levels, which I thought was adequate. I recently added some root tabs to them because of their large root system so hopefully that helps. Long story short is Drooping leaves a sign of any greater problem I may have over looked? Thank you very much for your help, this is my first time posting on this forum (Though Ive read probably thousands) and Its definately a step up from "FishLore" ;)
By the way- Beautiful tank, Jealous of the dense S. Repens

here is a picture off of google that shows how my leaves look (shape wise)

Bump:

Attachments

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I received the plants with the large length between each node, I dont think its a lighting issue because S. repens Ive had the longest are very dense, almost hugging the substrate. Also from the Par readings Ive seen I think I should be getting around 40 Par at the substrate. Any thoughts on upping Kno3/Kh2po4? Also the last photo I sent was not mine, but one I found off of google to show the drooping of the leaves I am experiencing.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New growth seems to be normal, but I'm wondering if the drooping leaves is a sign of something else, if not It seems I may be just overthinking a bit of melting. If that is the case, any thoughts on the GSA and melting of old leaves?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.