The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe? The other day I was ciphoning a tank and drank some of the water on accident. My gf said I could catch a disease, should I be worried?:iamwithst

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Get a small pond pump, stick a clear hose to the end, put the hose out of the window or into the bathtub, and turn on the pump. It will drain much faster and you'll never have to suck tank water again.

As for drinking tank water, you'll likely be alright, but I've heard cases where people got sick . . .

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tub

My girlfriend says she won't kiss me for four days until she knows I am not infected by some "river disease" she thinks I have, so maybe it's time to invest in that pump. What kind of hose attaches to it? The tank is only five gallons, I am worried it might fill up to quickly?

Get a small pond pump, stick a clear hose to the end, put the hose out of the window or into the bathtub, and turn on the pump. It will drain much faster and you'll never have to suck tank water again.

As for drinking tank water, you'll likely be alright, but I've heard cases where people got sick . . .

·
Registered
668 Posts
I would say youll be fine. Also, you don't have to use a pump seeing as its only 5 gal, why not get a hand pump started siphon. Or the other option which i use reguarly, fill the siphon hose with water, cover both ends with thumbs then put on end in the tank and the other into bucket and it will start the siphon. Don't ever have to use mouth.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Is it safe? The other day I was ciphoning a tank and drank some of the water on accident. My gf said I could catch a disease, should I be worried?:iamwithst
LOL I really wouldnt worry. Very few things transfer between species and unless you took water right from a lake or river for your tank without ever changing it I think you'll be fine. Might not taste too great though.

Really?!? Is this like a friend of a friend whose neighbor heard it from their cousin kind of stories or is it someone you personally know? I'd be intrigued to hear more about this.

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I drank a good clip of vodka afterward.

Back when I used to do wc's with a siphon I'd keep a shot of whiskey on hand, incase any tank water made it in I was chasing down with 100 proof! Not sure how effective it was?? Never got sick..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tank water bloody mary

I'll just substitute tank water for the clam juice in my bloody mary this weekend brunch. I'll garnish the glass with a stalk of anubis and a dead red cherry shrimp.

Sounds good :) maybe one before hand for good measure

Reactions: kinzo

·
Registered
282 Posts
i'm an open water swimmer. rivers, lakes, oceans, bays, channels... you name it.

inevitably you drink the water, impossible not to. i do keep current on tetanus and hepatitis vaccines because you run into some gross stuff (and i don't mean guppy piss!).
i wouldn't be too concerned about an occasional swig of tank water :laugh2:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Back when I used to do wc's with a siphon I'd keep a shot of whiskey on hand, incase any tank water made it in I was chasing down with 100 proof! Not sure how effective it was?? Never got sick..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I did this once when I ate some unknowingly moldy bread. I never got sick.

As for op, aquatic snails are common carriers of parasites. Many of these parasites will, in later stages of their life cycles, target humans and even cats.

·
Banned
628 Posts
I used to get tank water in my mouth siphoning. Now I invert the tube at the end of the hose and submerge it to fill it with water. A little tank water is good for the constitution. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

However, and this is a dark turn. There is such a thing as Fish TB that humans can get through open cuts. I just tied some Anubias to some driftwood and tightened the knot with my teeth. So I'm really really appreciating abrooks12376's whiskey suggestion right about now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.