The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share this drink dispenser nano tank I am working on. Its a birthday present for my mom. But it also started my need for wanting my own planted tank again. Long story I used to have fish tanks but had to sell when I moved. Anyway making a blog about it as I go, so if anyone else wanted to make one. I'm calling it The Green Betta Project, b/c I want to get a really pretty betta for it. It will have a heater, light, dwarf hairgrass, and a sponge filter. And the spigot will work to make water changes then fill it up on the top with a stainless steel funnel. :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had the same idea at the store recently and my wife said, "You see a fish tank in everything." I'm looking forward to seeing how this project develops.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'm worried it might leak. It was hard to get the sealant inside around the bottom of it. Water test in a few days, we are getting some bad weather soon. I also got one of those fish bowl heaters and its not heating the water above 70 Degrees. But if I get a long heater I can't hide it under the gravel. :( Any advice on another small heater that is super small but works.

·
Registered
588 Posts
It has been my experience that most of those nano, non-adjustable heaters are awful. They either do not heat enough or heat too much. I had one on a 3 gal that wouldn't stay below 86.

I am curious, where do you plan to put the light and what do you plan to use? Where do you plan to run any cables?

I like this idea, but I am just no t sure how everything will work out.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You can run cables and place the heater in the back and hide it all with fast growing tall plants. You can either notch the lid for cables and DIY some led's to it or remove the lid completely and use a desk lamp.

Water changes are going to be a breeze. Love it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has been my experience that most of those nano, non-adjustable heaters are awful. They either do not heat enough or heat too much. I had one on a 3 gal that wouldn't stay below 86.

I am curious, where do you plan to put the light and what do you plan to use? Where do you plan to run any cables?

I like this idea, but I am just no t sure how everything will work out.
The light will be on top above the lid, I am going to cut a circle hole in the lid. Cutting small hole to run the cables in the lid.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Thanks I'm worried it might leak. It was hard to get the sealant inside around the bottom of it. Water test in a few days, we are getting some bad weather soon. I also got one of those fish bowl heaters and its not heating the water above 70 Degrees. But if I get a long heater I can't hide it under the gravel. :( Any advice on another small heater that is super small but works.
Which heater is it? My experience with the Hydor 7.5 Watt heaters is that they don't heat a ton if you bury them. I also have one of the Marina 8 Watt Betta heaters in a 4G vase, and it keeps the water at a toasty 81F. I don't like it, but it is small and might work well for your purpose. I don't exactly have it buried in the gravel, but it is hidden. I build a small box out of eggcrate and screen and put a pond pump with a fountain attachment in the box. The heater is in there too. Seemed like a great idea at the time, but the flow is terrible and I have to tear up the whole vase to get the pump out and work on it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can run cables and place the heater in the back and hide it all with fast growing tall plants. You can either notch the lid for cables and DIY some led's to it or remove the lid completely and use a desk lamp.

Water changes are going to be a breeze. Love it.
Which heater should I get? The one I have is not heating good, returned already through Amazon. And don't have to send it back. I need something small but something I can set the temp on.

·
Registered
561 Posts
And I have two of those Deepblue Solarflare lights. I have them stuck on my 12G Fluval Edge as supplemental lighting to the inculded LED. They have held up well so far. I actually need to reduce the solar period because I have a bad algae outbreak, even with DIY CO2.

·
Registered
561 Posts
By the way, I love your project, and I'm thinking of doing something similar. Here's what I would change:

-Cut a circle out of the metal lid, but replace it with a piece of plexiglass. Silicone the plexi to the inside of the lid. That way, you have a clear top, but still reduce evaporation. Maybe drill a small hole in the plexi for easy feeding.

-Lees makes a couple of small, round UGF's for bowls. I have one of the 1G and one of the 2G each. Depending on the dimensions of the jar, I might use one of those or cut my own out of a larger UGF. I would turn the elbow around and cut a hole for it in the UGF. When you drained the water, it would siphon out all the gunk from under the UGF.

You mentioned you want to plant DHG, so a UGF wouldn't be the best choice for that. In mine, I'd probably use stem plants and moss. Anyhow, love the blog and I'll be following your progress.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Will lowes cut flexiglass for me in a circle. Also I'm worried about that metal lid rusting over time with the moisture.
Lowes and HD will only cut in straight lines. I use a dremmel to cut the best circle I can. For my vases that I made lids for, I split black airline tubing and wrapped it around the circles to hide the uneven edges. If you were caulking it under the metal lid though, no one would be able to see. Then the only question would be how to cut a perfect circle in the metal!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Or, you could just take off the metal lid and do what I just described. Cut the circle a little bigger than the rim of the jar. The lid won't fit snugly, but it will cover the rim. The black tubing gives it a finished look, and helps seat the lid. I notch a little hole in the back for my airline tubing and heater cord.

I also bought a circle glass cutter. It won't cut the plexi, but it will score it so you have a guide to use when you're cutting. I think it was about $16. A better idea for you would probably be to trace the existing metal lid with a marker and use that line to make your cut. Leave the plastic on the plexi while you cut and it holds together better.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts