The Planted Tank Forum banner

Drilled Corner tank w/ overflow. Best filtration options?

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Jeffreynmandy 
#1 ·
I got a reef ready 54 gallon aquarium super cheap. It's drilled and has a built-in in overflow in the corner. It came with a sealife wet dry sump and pump.

I've read that wet dry is not good for planted tanks. Can I not use bio balls and just put filter pads there? I'm wanting to do it cheaply and use what I have if possible.

What's my best option for filtration? I'd like to keep the budget low because only have $150 in all of it.

#3 ·
[qu water ote=andyl9063;5589793]you could go wet dry or I just extend the drain line into sump via filter socks.

Water run across foam pads and media bags, then return pump back to tank.

When you said wet dry is not good? What aspects are you talking about? Co2? it's hard since co2 will be exposed to air.

I run co2 on my setup with my sump.[/quote]

I think all the aeration of the trickling water takes out most of the co2.

How is your sump set up? Also what can I do to prevent floods from power outages and such. I'm new to sumps, but it seems like with the built in overflow The water won't flow out past the top of it.

#6 ·
[qu water ote=andyl9063;5589793]you could go wet dry or I just extend the drain line into sump via filter socks.

Water run across foam pads and media bags, then return pump back to tank.

When you said wet dry is not good? What aspects are you talking about? Co2? it's hard since co2 will be exposed to air.

I run co2 on my setup with my sump.
I think all the aeration of the trickling water takes out most of the co2.

How is your sump set up? Also what can I do to prevent floods from power outages and such. I'm new to sumps, but it seems like with the built in overflow The water won't flow out past the top of it.[/QUOTE]

yeah you can solve that if you run the drain water into sump without exposing it to air.
Drain line goes into sump past water level into filter socks to filter it. I don't have any baffles or anything. Just foam pads that cover the span of the tank's width. The water flow across foam pads, then across filter media and back to return pump. I don't keep my sump cover. Depending on your overflow, if it gets clogged, it'll overflow yr tank, but just keep it clean. You're keep it cheap so I won't suggest a beananimal overflow setup.

#12 ·
well that looks like yr drain from overflow. Get a filter sock, run that drain line into it. Put some poret foam under it. Then it drains out to filter media and return pump. Without seeing inside sump, i can't tell you specifics.

you'll have to buy: filter socks and holder or use make up a tie where you can untie it when swapping out, poret foams, filter media, and return pump.

here's a reference.

#14 ·
Here's a better picture of the sump layout. I can't find one of the hoses at the moment.

Is the float on the intake side OK to use? I want to minimize any chance of a flood.

Also, I'm I correct in putting cut to fit filter media instead of bio balls in the filter side.

Is this the correct size sump for a 54 gallon?

I've searched for the information, but everyone seems to have different answers.

The progress so far on the tank. I have a little more cleaning to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.