The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one DIY CO2 reactor and need another. After a WC without an air bleed at the top my XP3 has a hard time on restart sometimes.

I used a 2" slip to 3/4" FPT at the top of my first one. What are the chances of using a 2" slip plug and drilling & tapping the top of that for both a 3/4" and 1/4" so I can have both at the top? The PVC fittings always seem more brittle than the PVC pipe itself. Guess it's because one is extruded and the other molded.

SteveU

·
Registered
292 Posts
I know of applications where these are tapped in the center; the PVC is thickest there.

For a low-pressure application like this, it may work to tap it off-center.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the slip plug I'd like to tap so both holes would be at the top. I could also use a slip cap.

SteveU

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Those reactors have at most about 2 psi pressure in them, compared to about 40 psi house water pressure, so you can safely drill and tap almost anywhere on one of the fittings.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I went and picked up the parts for another one. But no way I can get both holes in the top, just not enough space with the side walls in the slip insert plug. I'll try one as close to the top as possible going through both the slip coupler and the plug. That'll give me plenty of bitefor the threads.

SteveU

1 - 6 of 6 Posts