The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, none of the pet shops around my area (or around the whole mainland) have any good "aquarium driftwood". The new owner of the local Big Als is trying something new with bringing in something similar to manzanita from over seas. But he has said that the price will be quite high, and hes mainly bringing the stuff in as a test run.

But, I see alot of 'reptile wood' that is really nice and deffinately more to my liking. Is it possible to safely use this stuff in an aquarium? I have seen some that is very soft, which is obviously not the best idea. But I have a few pieces in my reptile tanks that are very hard, and similar looking to blasted manzanita.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think I've bought some reptile wood on accident, feel it..does it seem soft? Compare it to nice hard mopani.. if it's real soft I wouldn't bother.. it will rot and algae will take full advantage of it.

and also I never ever ever ever could get it to stop staining the water yellow no matter how much it was boiled :p

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I've heard some reptile wood is treated with preservatives and biocides that would be harmful in an aquarium.

Perhaps if you can track a particular piece of wood back to the company that supplies it, they may be able to tell you if that's the case for their product.

Even if they told me it was safe, I'd probably still soak it for a few weeks in a bucket, with multiple water changes. Then put it in my QT for a few more weeks, with a fish I wouldn't mind losing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.