The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a piece of driftwood or manzita that is in the shape of a mini tree. Something that could be used to create a fissiden tree or weeping moss. I would like one that would kinda look like a Bonsai tree, I have seen a lot of people make them but have yet to find something similar for sale. Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Make sure if you are to buy a bonsai tree you do not buy the traditional japanese ones. Those are of the genus Pinus which is poisonous for any tank, plants and animals alike.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea def not a real one. Something similar lol. Or even something that will resemble an old big, oak.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I've got 2 different pieces that may work for you. Give me a day or 2 to find them. What size are you looking for?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got 2 different pieces that may work for you. Give me a day or 2 to find them. What size are you looking for?
Not to large, probably 8-10 inches. Want something that would resemble an old twisting tree. Want to make it out of fissidens.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The ones I have are larger than 8-10 inches.

That photo is amazing! What I have is real nice, but nothing like that photo. Looks like they got a dead bonsai for their tank.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where do people find these? Do they make a piece of driftwood look like that some how?
I spoke with the guy in SF that carries these and he says that they make them out of driftwood pieces. Not sure how they do it but he said they come from Asia. He will have some more in a week or two. Think the little ones are $50

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,086 Posts
The two I bought here on the forum are like the one pictured, only smaller. I was told they came from Thailand and they are handmade from a combination of driftwood and bonsai tree wood. I can't tell by looking at mine how they're put together but the small upper branches are definitely a different kind of wood than the lower part of the tree and the trunk of the tree looks to be partially carved. I just finished covering the upper branches of my smaller tree with Fissidens fontanus and I've got the other partially done with Vesicularia ferriei. I'm waiting on some more weeping moss to complete it. The trees don't sink at first but after a day of being weighted down with a rock they are sufficiently waterlogged enough to stay on the bottom. They also developed white slime after about a week but only on the upper branches, not on the trunk. I rinsed the smaller tree with steaming hot water before I placed the Fissidens on it. I've noticed my Otocinclus munching on the slime so hopefully if it comes back it won't become an issue. The wood also leaches tannins into the water, for how long I don't know yet. I was afraid to boil it for fear that it might fall apart since I don't know how they're attached.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea that would,,be an idea. I'm pretty handy so I am looking at my driftwood stash. I'm sure I can figure something out. Def cool whoever made them

-Chris

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,086 Posts
Here's the two trees that I bought. The larger one on the left I'm placing weeping moss on and the smaller one on the right I just covered in Fissidens a couple of hours ago.

Attachments

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,086 Posts
Ha ha, revspeed is right but where are you going to find anything else like them?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.