The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of sticks that i want to screw to a peice of acrylic and put sand on top of the acrylic so that the wood can't be moved easily.

What would be the best way to screw it down, i mean what are the best screws?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
screws are tricky... a lot of them is made out of iron.. they rust.. and iron coated with zinc... I hear large amount of zinc is bad...

I glued my driftwood to a rock with gorilla glue.. it works fine.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dough![smacks self in face!]
stainless steel, i geuss i overlooked that. i probally have evry size of them in my garage.
yea, pilot holes are a must, i know, especially in acrylic.
thanks guys.

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, i looked at the trusty HD today, none. my dad said he hasn't got any now, but he'll let me know.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Probably didn't look hard enough... Did you ask someone who worked there?

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
So, i looked at the trusty HD today, none. my dad said he hasn't got any now, but he'll let me know.
Look in the speciality fastener drawers. Get the thinnest/longest ones you can find. Silicone it to the base also.....DC

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Probably didn't look hard enough... Did you ask someone who worked there?
nope, i dont really like staff from anywhere but my lfs.i'm not a people's person, but maybe i'll look harder next time.

Look in the speciality fastener drawers. Get the thinnest/longest ones you can find. Silicone it to the base also.....DC
Will check next time. i am trying to work around silicone, as i am not goos with it at all.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i checked there, first place i checked actually, but i couldn't read the signs/boxs because there were little kids playing in the screws :(

actually, i didn't know if they used stainless for decks at first, even though my dad builds decks for a living. But, he builds trex decks, and uses a painted screw in a quickdrive screw driving system.

·
Registered
87 Posts
There is a whole isle of screws hanging on pegs in plastic bags. I don't remember HD selling them in bulk boxes. Besides, how many do you need?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
not many, but still, it couldn't hurt to have extra. The only kinds of screws i saw were brass and zinc plated ones.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
You have a local Lowes? I cant remember for sure if I got my SS screws from HD or Lowes, but yeah they were available in just about any size and in the same packaging as regular drywall screws just a different color. I got a 5# box since I was doing a lot of outside projects.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yea, plenty of them. i will check next time at both places, thuroughly

1 - 20 of 21 Posts