The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if my placing this piece of driftwood upside down could cause problems for CRS/CBS shrimp. I bought it and decided to place it upside down to resemble a root like effect about a week ago. I noticed some white fluffy stuff started growing on it so I pulled it out last night because I also noticed that the white growth started turning dark grayish black like mold in some areas. I soaked in hydrogen peroxide and scrubbed and then let it sit in ro/di overnight. I did boil it for several hours when I first got it. I purchased it at my LFS.

I want to put it back in upside down but I'm not sure if maybe that may not be a good idea due to circulation problems...Any advice as to what the growth was and if the placement would be an issue with Crystal Shrimps?

P.S.The tank was established but I changed out substrate from Eco Complete to Aquasoil and have not moved any shrimp in yet.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
its most likely fungus which is normal on drift wood.... you might want to add a few oto as they seem to love eating it and some amono shrimps also to keep the fungus is check... it should go away after a few months...

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
the fuzzy white fluffy stuff is bacteria. its cool its new colonies and wont hurt anything. shrimp and snails love eating it. you can wash it off but it might come back. and the wood looks good as a stump shrimp will be fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had that white stuff happen on some other driftwood I got a long time ago but I didn't recall it turning greyish black. That's what had me concerned that it might be harmful. Since you guys think it's nothing major I'm going to put it back in again.

It really does look pretty cool as a stump in the tank! When I bought it, it was right side up mounted on a big peice of slate. While I was boiling it, I had to turn it upside down to get the branches into the water and that was when I thought hey that looks cool!

Thanks to everyone for your help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts