The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’m new to this hobby and on a budget so I bought this driftwood cheap for my tank and I want to know if anyone knows what kind of wood it is as I’ve heard some are not aquarium safe. Any help identifying these three pieces would be greatly appreciated.
Plant Wood Branch Twig Trunk

Plant Wood Branch Flowerpot Trunk

Wood Branch Sculpture Twig Statue

·
Registered
168 Posts
Spider wood, probably. If so, it is 100% aquarium safe. That said, you should know in advance that (1) it will float initially if you don’t weigh it down with rocks while it goes through the process of getting waterlogged, after which it won’t float anymore, and (2) it will grow prodigious amounts of “wood snot” during that water logging process. The wood snot is harmless and can even serve as food for your fish/shrimp/snails. It goes away after a few weeks.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I mean, if you want to know what species of tree it came from the answer is that its exceptionally difficult to know. You need a cross section of the grain, a microscope, and an expert.

Good news is that there are very very very few woods that are not aquarium safe so long as they are dry (not oozing sap). If it were me, I'd boil the pieces I could fit in a pot of water and use it freely. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for the replies. I appreciate it!
I’m going to boil the pieces in an old cooler and then change the water and leave it in there to water log them for a while before use.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The fungus that grows could potentially harm plants near it, I’ve had it happen personally and I know others experienced the same. Soaking well in advance as has been suggested is a wise decision to let the fungal process run its course.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts