The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this large piece of driftwood at the flea market, but no one was around the booth and I don't know what type of wood it is.
There were other pieces clearly identified as pecan, but there were a lot of pieces like this that obviously were submerged at some point. I'm assuming that all of those holes were made by wood-boring claims or something similar. Many of the other pieces still had the clam shells stuck in the holes.

So what does everyone think? Safe for a planted tank or better to pass?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
752 Posts
My only concern would be salt. You mentioned clams so if it has sat in salt water a long time it may release salt into your freshwater. I would test it in a separate area (or prior to adding fish) to make sure you aren't getting excessive salt in the system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My only concern would be salt. You mentioned clams so if it has sat in salt water a long time it may release salt into your freshwater. I would test it in a separate area (or prior to adding fish) to make sure you aren't getting excessive salt in the system.
Yeah, I think I am going to soak it in one of my Brute water change cans for a little while and then see if my refractometer measures any change.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Yeah, I think I am going to soak it in one of my Brute water change cans for a little while and then see if my refractometer measures any change.
Might want to check some other parameters like PH as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts