The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill be driftwood hunting this week along the Mississippi river in various spots in the New Orleans area this week. I am new to planted scaping so if y'all would be so kind to comment on my pieces as i find them so i know if im getting good pieces to work with. Today area had mostly strait pieces but i found this baby and i happen to love it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just went driftwood collecting recently in the TN river and had some great finds. Really cool piece, BTW. WARNING: BOILING DRIFTWOOD STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found this bad boy today. Took forever to cut free since all i had was a screw driver and hammer but its worth it. this is my winner and its already pretty dense. Now to soak it for a couple weeks and a few good scrubbing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Desyx, I see you live in New Orleans. Don't know if you we're born and raised here. I brew up in Harahan about a block from the river. I spent my summers behind the levee haunting the battures and jumping off barges. FWIW, please please, (did I say please?), boil-bleach-clean-scrub these pieces until you think they're done. Then do it again. Anything coming out of the river at NOLA has ungodly amounts of stuff in/on it. From human waste to benzene to who knows what. IMHO, you're courting a dangerous mistress using anything from the Mississippi. Too much to chance. But I do agree that they are fine looking pieces and I'd be hard pressed not to use it. Makes me glad I'm on the north shore!:smile:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Found this bad boy today. Took forever to cut free since all i had was a screw driver and hammer but its worth it. this is my winner and its already pretty dense. Now to soak it for a couple weeks and a few good scrubbing.
that is a very cool piece of drift wood.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I'm on vacation this week and it's been really warm - why didn't I think of going out driftwood hunting??? I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow...

I think both pieces of wood are good, but that second is great! Buy a bow saw, leave it in your trunk (or truck) and it will rip through driftwood like a knife through butter. Grab a stick or bring a hiking pole to poke around for snakes too - learned that the hard way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts