The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driftwood is so frustrating :angryfire

I just can't find any decent pieces!I've checked so many websites and forums and there's always some type of problem.It's too small,too expensive,out of stock,boring pieces,and the list goes on.Some times I will find a nice piece at an affordable price only to find out the shipping is more expensive than the piece itself!

I'm specifically looking for spider wood or a similar type of wood that has a lot of branches.I really need some to complete the hardscape on my tank.I have Malaysian now and it's so flat and boring.I have also been looking at manzanita I can only find pieces that look like twigs.

I have gone driftwood hunting around my house but I still didn't come up with anything.Even if I did I would be scared to put it in my tank in fear of killing all my fish.

Sorry for the rant, but does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a couple pieces.I looked at the for sale section but there are none there either.Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
If you are going to hide the base and just limbs would work because only the ends
would show mostly, then check/w a local nursury and ask if they have any dead boxwood plants. The limbs on them are thicker than Mazanti and knarled in shape.
You may not like them but who knows. Seems like it may work for cutting off pieces of and having just part of each sticking out of the plants.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not sure if this is against posting rules but PM me and I will send you some picture of some driftwood I am getting ready to post up in the For Sale thread. I thought I would try to help a fella out before I posted it up! I have a few pieces that I think you would really like:> I hope its not breaking and forums rules but send me a PM and I should be able to help you out and even educate you in how to look/find the perfect piece of driftwood for your tank

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Do some checking on older posts of mine and you will find several that give some ideas of what to look for in free wood as well as several ideas of where to go to have the best shot at finding what you want. Which part of Ohio are you in/ Males a bit of difference on what wood you are likely to have in large amounts. In the Southern end you will likely have some form of what many call "cedar" even though it is not really correct. For some really small and branching type wood, A really, truly dry piece of cedar might be a good bet that is pretty easy to find. If you can find some hung in trees along a hiking/biking path, that is one spot. Another is an area which has been burned over years earlier to leave the small trees dead but still standing.

I find the real point of choosing wood is not deciding what type of wood works but in finding the truly dead dry stuff. There are lots of postings on what to look for on this if you are ready to go that route. Any other questions, that you don't find, give a shout out and there's lots of hints available. It's a really old subject that gets tossed around frequently but much depends on what you are looking for as well as how you feel about the hunt. To some it is fun, to others a drag so that's a biggie to clear up at the start!
Like a lot of stuff, it costs us in one way or another. Some we need to pay the big bucks and other times we pay a little more in blood and sweat?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts