The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cool Driftwood structure in my aquarium however being up close to the lights is creating a ton of algae.

I was thinking of attaching java moss on a new piece of driftwood and using it to block the light from the other driftwood.

Will the java moss prevent algae from growing on the driftwood or will the algae just grow on the java moss instead?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
What type of algae is it? Moss is an absolute magnet for any sort of filamentous algae and will just make your problem worse.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a cool Driftwood structure in my aquarium however being up close to the lights is creating a ton of algae.

I was thinking of attaching java moss on a new piece of driftwood and using it to block the light from the other driftwood.

Will the java moss prevent algae from growing on the driftwood or will the algae just grow on the java moss instead?

Thanks.
If whatever you have is just growing on the driftwood but nowhere else, then more likely than not, you have a fungus growing there! The fungus will disappear eventually after it can no longer extract nutrients from the driftwood.

A photo would have been nice!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What type of algae is it? Moss is an absolute magnet for any sort of filamentous algae and will just make your problem worse.
Its some kind of long hair algae.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
In that case don't put in moss. Putting moss into a tank with hair algae is a death sentence. Is the algae only on the driftwood close to the light?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In that case don't put in moss. Putting moss into a tank with hair algae is a death sentence. Is the algae only on the driftwood close to the light?
Yes, its near the light. Do you think that is the problem?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get some Amano shrimp. I had three in a 12 gallon tank and they took care of all my algae problems including hair algae. Here is a link to a good page on the Tropica site Algal control - Tropica Aquarium Plants
That is some great information. Do you normally buy yours from a Petco/Petsmart or another place?

That looks like it might do the trick.

Thanks!

·
Registered
671 Posts
That is some great information. Do you normally buy yours from a Petco/Petsmart or another place?

That looks like it might do the trick.

Thanks!
I have a local pet store that keeps them well stocked. They have them labeled as algae eating shrimp so you might want to look for them under that alternate name. They are interesting shrimp. They tend to school. You will often see them walking around together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.