The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some drift there for fairly cheap and i was wondering if it is safe?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I've used that wood, it's safe. It will grow light gray goop/film for awhile, but that is also safe for the fish. You can keep cleaning it off or just leave it for a month or more and then clean it off.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be sure o boil it then. I am going to get the mopani, as for the grape vine, i will leave that alone.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Local Petcos sell soaked driftwood in their stock tanks. It's a bit more expensive than the dry stuff, but it's ready to use.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You have Pet Supplies Plus there in Raleigh. They have Malaysian driftwood for $10 ea. All sizes. It sinks like a rock and looks awesome. Look in the lizard section too because they split it up between fish and there. Much better selection imo than Petsmart/Petco. The Malaysian wood will leech tannins for ~3-4 months but meh...water changes take care of that minor stuff. If it really bugs you then use charcoal.

Cheers

http://www.petsuppliesplus.com/custserv/locate_store.cmd

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How dod you know that? Besides looking online...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uhh... going to their website store locator? They're all identically laid out.

also:

Haha gotchya. Thought you were from around here.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Malaysian wood will leech tannins for ~3-4 months but meh...water changes take care of that minor stuff. If it really bugs you then use charcoal.
I suggest Purigen, from SeaChem. I think it works 100 times better at taking out tannins.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Picked up some of the same stuff a couple years ago from PS or some other box store. Regular mopani wood without any of that weird bark or any of that crap.

Gave it a good boiling in my wife's stew pot for about an hour to accelerate the tannin leeching, let it cool down and it's been in the tank since then. No film, no brown water and sunk like a Mob cement shoe. Didn't end up needing carbon or purigen either.

BL pleco made one of them his home and the other has multiple anubias stuck to it like glue.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've bought some from Petsmart as well, mostly the mopani wood that is sold in the reptile section. No problems and like most driftwood, will leach tannins into your tank.
Yep! I think that is what I am going to go with

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I've got a question, someone said they pick driftwood out from the river. Is that safe for your tank? I've wondered because I've got a few beautiful pieces, but don't want to use them if it's not a good idea.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts