The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live near the sea (in the UK) and walk along a coastal path nearly everyday and there are always interesting shaped pieces of washed up wood.

I have collected a couple of pieces that I think would look good in my tank.

I know you have to soak bog wood for a while before use but does anyone have any advice/experience on using wood found washed up on beaches?

I plan to wash it thoroughly even though it looks very clean, there is no bark on it, and I'll soak it for a couple of months at least.

Advice welcome.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Boil the snot of out of if before you soak it and it should be fine.

P.S. Welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
I agree. Boil it and it should be fine. Though, I've also soaked pieces just until they start to sink and then they were fine... without boiling, but it's pretty much just... what do you trust? how much pollution is on the beach in the UK?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think that driftwood from the beach is going to float, since... that's how they got to the beach in the first place. I don't know they call wood for aquariums "driftwood", since we want pieces that don't float/drift.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your advice and thanks Solstice for your welcome.

There isn't pollution that I know of in the sea here, people swim in the area I collected it in the summer.

My plan is to soak it for a couple of months at least whilst my tank is stripped down for a major overhaul.

I realise I may have to weight it down some how.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I think that driftwood from the beach is going to float, since... that's how they got to the beach in the first place.
Not if a recent storm has come by. Heard that's some of the best time to collect driftwood near campgrounds. They end up drying it and then using it for firewood. Tons of it wash up all the time.

It almost immediately sinks too. Had one piece my parents collected a week ago sink after maybe 6 hours of soaking, so it wasn't a floating piece before hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts