The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've been shopping for driftwood all over the place. The only one that I want is around $100, and to be honest, my wallet has already committed suicide.

So, what are your secrets? I was just browsing through the "Your Tank" photos and your rocks and driftwood are just awesome. I've been browsing around Amazon for the stuff, and I guess that's my best shot. Since they are rather cheap.

But the rocks... Where in the world did this guy get these? http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yourtanks.php?do=view&id=20&n=yoink

Or this guy, http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yourtanks.php?do=view&id=1941&n=shayf

I live in Missouri, and I've already tried to hunt for the stuff myself with 0 luck. Secrets are meant to be told. It's how they work.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Landscape supply yards are some of my favorite places. Neither of your rock examples are as difficult to find as the porous and interesting ones Amano uses. The Inca tank uses very flattish pedestrian rocks; it is what he did with them that is extraordinary. I'll poke through a pallet or two of promising stones to find one or two keepers and then pay something like $5 for them. Good driftwood is harder to find in these parts.

I found these rocks that way:

These rocks same thing, but I had to pay real money for the driftwood:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
70$ for rocks. What has this world come to too!?

But I never thought about a landscaping yard. I'll have to try that. Great tip!

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
+1 on Tom's suggestion on landscape supply yards for rock.

PetSmartCos sell Mopane wood from South Africa. I'm using that now in my 40. I've used Philippine Driftwood in the past. Both are very dense and once soaked don't require additional ballast or engineering to keep them from floating.

But, some of my best stuff was found materials. If I see a dead hardwood branch or a rock I like I bring them home for the future. Of course owning a home helps. I have a spots in the Veggie garden and in a few flower planting were I can store my "finds" for the future.

If your in a major Metro area, demolition sites can be good spots, of course get permission. Also, if you see the trimers working on Hardwood trees. Some of the the dead beaches may have weathered nicely way up in the air.

I think continuity in one's Aquascape is what separates excellent from the good.

·
Registered
866 Posts
But, some of my best stuff was found materials.
I agree with Frank on this one. when I first started, I paid $16 for a piece of malaysian driftwood. Not that there's something wrong with the wood, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted. In addition upon closer inspection, you can even see a cut on the wood, not natural looking. If I were to do this again, I would totally take my time and find some "hidden treasures" that I am sure I will like.

potential locations for driftwood hunting:
1. hiking trip, make sure its permitted by law to take before you do
2. riverbanks, especially near sand bars
3. dams
4. lakes/large ponds
5. your buddy's property/farm
6. parks

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I agree with Frank on this one. when I first started, I paid $16 for a piece of malaysian driftwood. Not that there's something wrong with the wood, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted. ....
Another good point....Nothing I've bought or found has ever been exactly what I wanted. I just try to get something close.

Then I get Medieval on it. I've used everything; axes, drills, power saws, hammer & chisel, knifes, grinders, dremel tool, ice picks all to make driftwood look 'Natrual' :hihi:

I think with driftwood its good too look at it from several angles. I typically see what I'm after and just do a little surgery to get the look I want.

Tom Barr has done some very nice aquascapes by combining simple branches of driftwood to create a stunning hard scape.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Best place for rocks really is based on your location, living in AZ, we have tons of different style rocks here from white, all colors to black.

Driftwood though... that is a whole other story. I don't get to do that much of exploration type trips at the moment. So I usually give my LFS's a stop in once a month.

I kind of regret it now... but it looked so cool in the LFS. lol

It is huge. And I paid $120. lol
Tank is a 75 gallon FYI.

Excuse the mess of a tank though...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Best place for rocks really is based on your location, living in AZ, we have tons of different style rocks here from white, all colors to black.

Driftwood though... that is a whole other story. I don't get to do that much of exploration type trips at the moment. So I usually give my LFS's a stop in once a month.

I kind of regret it now... but it looked so cool in the LFS. lol

It is huge. And I paid $120. lol
Tank is a 75 gallon FYI.

Excuse the mess of a tank though...
:iamwithst lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.