The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am well aware that this sort of question usually reserves to the realm of swap and shop, however, regardless of the title, I am not interested in merely purchasing a piece of driftwood. In my recent research, I have come to realize that the pieces I search for are rather sparse. Consequently, I would like to know from all the good and knowledgeable members where I could find long, crooked and odd-looking pieces of driftwood that offer the option of complexity in an aquascape, rather than simply placing a monstrous piece of wood on the bottom. In other words, I am interested in single, filigree, coanduate and long shapes not boulder-type tree parts. And to add one more specification, I do not mean manzanita wood as these pieces are mostly one, pricy and it would be rather unacceptable to defile these natural wonders by means of sharp-edged tools.

I do appreciate all aid.

Simon

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know you said no manzanita but honestly, your best bet is manzanita.

If a piece is too big, break it. Its just wood.

I believe there is someone in swap forum who sells some quality manzanita. i've ordered from him a couple times. He will make custom sets for you if you tell him what you want.

Charlie

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Manzanita is pretty much the only readily avaliable driftwood that fits your description. Depending on the size, it shouldn't be that expensive.

If you have pictures of a perticular scape that has similar driftwood to what you're looking for, that may help.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
The only thing that comes close to what you're looking for, if manzanita is out of the question (though I don't understand your reasoning), is cypress driftwood. But I really think manzanita is your best bet.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've seen somethings similar to what you're describing on ebay. Some roots, and other kind of wood, that are twisted and complicated. Take a look. I'm not sure what type they are.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How about maple? I understand the wood has to be hard. I would imagine I could bake it for a couple of hours first and then submerge it. Any thoughts on locally collected wood?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have been looking for some piecesof dead, dried out Mesquite, it is a hard wood that has some of the twited qualitys discussed here, anyone every try it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts