The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Anyone has ever used dried duckweed as a food for shrimp? I always use my extra plants as a food for shrimp. dried leaves like dwarf lilly or water onion are great for them. not sure about duckweed though.

·
Registered
357 Posts
How do you feed it to them then? Crumble it up and add it to the water, or weight it down on the bottom of the tank and watch them graze?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just adding dried leaves to the tanks, at first they float, then sink, some people boil hot water pour over dried leaves wait few minutes soaking and then put in to the tank, it sinks much faster

·
Registered
10 Posts
Probably fine. I don't think it is a super awesome food but not bad to add every once in a while to mix it up.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I have live duckweed in all of my shrimp tanks but they do not eat it. Unless the plants are definitely dead they will return to life and overtake your tank in a short time. Unless you do not mind duckweed in your tank, I would not do it. Blanched spinach works great though. I boiled an entire bag and then froze the spinach. I cut small sections off every so often thaw them out and the shrimp go crazy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts