The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I finally decided I am going to setup a 20 Gallon Long tank for breeding shrimp. This tank will be for CRS but I might also add some Supreme Reds. I have kept shrimp in the past and currently have a 5 gallon tank with CRS and Supreme Reds in it, but I wanted something a little bigger in hopes they will breed. Anyway lets get on with the info and pictures...

AQUARIUM: 20 Gallon Long

LIGHTING: Finnex Fugeray LED with added window screen

STAND: Ikea Expedit stand with 2x4 frame support inside and custom door

FILTER: Eheim 2215 with SS mesh guard and maybe a sponge filter as well

SUBSTRATE: ADA Amazonia

FLORA: lots of moss and maybe some stem plants

FAUNA: Crystal Red Shrimp

The 2x4 Frame

Frame Inside Stand

The Door(bottom shelf to an Ikea coffee table was cut down)

The Completed Stand

Currently I'm waiting on the substrate, light and filter to come in. I am talking to a few people regarding moss for the tank. Hope to have it setup and cycling this upcoming week. :D

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
good idea on the interior support stand. ikea furniture inherently do not have much diagonal support but the 4 screws at each of the 8 corners should adequately cover that. Its looking real polished! looking forward to your progress here.

With such a sleek looking stand, LED would have been my lighting of choice

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok finally have time to do a little update....work has been super busy. Got the tank setup 3 days ago but just got the light on it today because I just now had time to add window screen to the light. There are currently two layers of window screen but I might add one or two more depending on if I get too much algae growth.

The Fugeray is sooooo sleek.

The Eheim 2215 (I love these filters)

The tank 15 minutes after setup

Today after light was put on

You can kinda see the window screen

Now just waiting on the tank to cycle. I got a bunch of really nice looking moss but now I'm waiting on the SS mesh squares to come in ( should be here tomorrow).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well added some moss last night if anyone cares haha.

From left to right. Subwassertang, Fissdens, Fissdens, Flame, Flame

Mini Xmas, Mini Xmas, Mini Xmas, ? (Some people think its Anchor moss)

Here is a picture of the questionable moss if anyone wants to chime in

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is a picture of the tank I took today. The plants are doing really well and I must say I love LEDs so far. Was hoping to transfer the CRS soon but one of my females in the 5 gallon just got pregnant so I might wait till the babies are born. I guess I could also just leave her and transfer the others. We shall see....

·
Registered
126 Posts
OMG I'm doing almost the exact setup...and keep going back and forth between the fugeray and ray2...figured more light would be better and if anything i could suspend the fixture a little higher....ughh but if your saying the fugeray has THAT much light I might just have made my mind. You happen to measured the PAR, jw since you put two layers of screen on. DEF looking good... I'm already hitting up Ikea for that desk haha, and I have my 2215 set to go. looking to be your twin soon. I'll be following this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts