The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Dragon Scale is a scale mutation rather like "Pearl Scale" but, it sounds much more cool.

You may be seeing these offered in the two large chains. Most likey they are HMPKs - Half Moon Plakat. Plakat is the Thai name for fighting fish. Basically, they took the wild type Betta and breed the most aggressive & strongest jaws ie. the ones that didn't die.

The Half Moon is a cross between the fighters and the full finned bettas.

The best place to see the types is Aquabid.com

I have a very nice HMPK that I found at Petsmart. After looking on Aquabid, I'm sure he was a shipping mistake. Maybe the Shipping packer in Thailand was not paying attention.:hihi:

I visit PetSmart & PetCo in my job. I always look. Seems if I look at a 100 bettas, I find one nice one, body, fin, color, health. Maybe one out off 300 is VERY nice.

I'm on Ultimate Betta they have good info on proper fins, tail and body.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you have seen "dragonscale" bettas at petsmart...yeah. They are not really dragons. Those are plakats, most not even remotely halfmoon. Occasionally there will be a real one, but most are not. I would strongly suggest doing a search on them and looking at pictures.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Agree,they would be males.Let me warn you though on dragons.The scales are thickly coated with iridescence,hence the reason they look so thick.They are prone to this pigment growing over their eyes and causing blindness as well as tumors.Some breeders believe the tumors are caused from the irid piling up on the cells causing abnormal growth.

While very pretty fishes,and great pets,just be aware that they may develop issues like these in its lifespan.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought one of those betta labeled "dragon scale" several months ago at Petsmart. Like another member said, you have to look for the really nice ones.

Here is what mine dragon scale betta looks like. Handsome young male.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow he is beautiful. I went by pets art by my house today and did see some "dragon scale"labeled. I don't know if he is true dragon scale. I'm thinking if I should still get it. I'm sleeping on it tonight! Will keep you guys updated!

·
Registered
40 Posts
EnigmaticBettaBreeds, that's a really stunning betta. I was surprised to see a number of beautiful HMPKs at my local Petsmart that had beautiful metallic coloration. Sometimes their betta stock is just sad... but recently, it's been impressive for a pet store.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Bettas are a little like some cichlids, I believe. They need lots of cover in the breeding tank, and the females are best removed after spawning.

·
Registered
821 Posts
You got this beauty from Petsmart??!?!?!!!!! :icon_eek:

I stopped going to Petsmart a long time ago. But if you can find fish like this there.....then I'm going!

I bought one of the "dragon scale" bettas at petsmart before and the damn thing was GORGEOUS! Never seen a betta with this type of coloration before

His past home

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dragonscale bettas are pretty. The iridescence is usually gold or silvery white in coloration. Those with more iridescence coverage on the head are more prone to having the iridescence creep up onto the eyes. The term "full mask" refers to a dragonscale betta with full coverage on the head - including the top of the head - and they are more likely to have the eye problem.

Schwartzy61: What a pretty betta! I find that a lot of the bettas I see at my local Petsmart have curled ventral fins.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.