The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordinarily, if something doesn't grow well in my tank, I move on and find something that does. However, I really like the look of downoi and I want to make it a critical part of my aquascape.

I bought some super healthy plants from a member here and it is slowly dying on me. I'm down to about 3 healthy stems now. I have a high tech tank with what I feel are very plant friendly water parameters. I think I'm missing a key element here. Any ideas?

Tank: Standard 40 gallon breeder
Lighting: 4x 39 watt 6500k T5 Tek-Light
CO2: Pressurized, via PH controller
PH: 6.3
KH: 1.5
GH: 1.5
Temp: 81
Dosing: EI
Algae Control:25 Watt UV Sterilizer

·
Registered
565 Posts
81 degrees? why is it this high (fish?)

how long do you run the 25 Watt UV Sterilizer
if it on all the time I have heard it will remove
your ferts in the water column

your KH is 1.5
Do you use RO water to get it that way.?

KH of 3 would let you raise your ph levels up around 6.7

·
Registered
845 Posts
What about your substrate? I read that downoi like/need a nutrient rich substrate.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Well, I've grown downoi in temps above 81 degrees but my GH is about 5 and my kH is about 3. That could make a difference but wouldn't guarantee that's it.

Brian

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Aquasoil. I suppose I'll turn the temp down a bit to see if that helps. Would turning it down to 78-79 make the difference?
You're probably better off going down to 74-75 degrees. Fish don't need it any warmer than that, unless you have discus.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Sorry to here the downoi isn't doing well :icon_frow . Can you describe what is wrong with it?

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
I was the one who sold him the downoi. My water has a KH of 8 and GH of 15.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have also had problems w/ downoi in my discus tank(82 degrees),but it thrives in a 10 gal shrimp tank at 76. Both in 10 gh.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Your tank parameters are fine. I am growing downoi quite successfully in the same water. Temp is a little higher at 81-83, similar hardness, and light/CO2. I also run a UV 24/7. No problems. I also have grown it in harder water, kH and gH both 8+.

How long have you had it. I find it takes awhile to get adjusted to new water then grows like gangbusters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts