The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been using a 205 canister for a while now but I have to lower down the flow because it was too strong...on my 20 long

pretty much i kept the aquastop lever 2/3 of the way close almost to the point of closing the lever.

I use a SS prefilter intake but im thinking that is not helping much...

I have a 5.5g with sponge filter and the shrimp in there are breeding like crazy..

I only see about 2-3 berried female in my 20 long..

Thinking about getting some sponge filter power with air pump and let it run for a month to colony it then sell the canister...

IM pretty lazy and don't wan to do much as it go for cleaning and the spong would do more good..

this sounds good? going to use 2 sponge..maybe those dual sponge on each side or one on each side

·
Wanabe BKK Herder
2,159 Posts
You could also just get a HOB and move the filter media from the canister to the HOB. I just did this after becoming thoroughly disgusted with my Eheim (when it won't prime, it really won't prime; frustrating POS).

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could also just get a HOB and move the filter media from the canister to the HOB. I just did this after becoming thoroughly disgusted with my Eheim (when it won't prime, it really won't prime; frustrating POS).
Don't really want HOB...remember lookign for low or nothing maintance and the HOB would require weekly changing which i did for a while before doing shrimp tank

I have gone ahead and order my stuff and sponges...

·
Wanabe BKK Herder
2,159 Posts
With a HOB? I never clean mine. Once a month or so I remove and rinse the prefilter. Once every six months or so I replace the Purigen. But yes, the sponge filter is even less "work" than that.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I don't have to clean my hobs that often. If it's one a week then I think you need a bigger hob or add another one

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
id have to say its not your filter at all, i have a 306 on my 20l with crs and the babies are doing just fine its @ 1/2-3/4 open as i havent put a spraybar on it, no point selling an buying another as thats not going to fix what ever your issue is. with only 2-3 berried with no info on any of that blaming the filter is likely just avoiding what issue your really having. but with little info its almost impossible to give u a strait forward answer.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Ya, there is a million issues that could be different on why tank is going and another not. Size of tank and number of shrimp I am learning from experience is a key factor.

The females only have a small window of a few hours to get berried. If you have a 5.5gal and 20 shrimp and a 20 long and 20 shrimp, what are the odd's a male will find a female and she can't run and hide as much in the 5.5 compared to a 20long? I tried to have too many tanks before and split up all my shrimp for different breeding without taking things like that into account and have since learned. 3 shrimp in a 10 or 20 gal doesn't usually result in too many berries if any at all. 3 shrimp in a 2.5 gal, can almost guarantee it.

I ran a Rena XP1 on a 7.5gal cube tank before with CRS without it being an issue. Get a spraybar or make one if you need, and what is the population density like?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts