The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally, some new pics from me!!

The tray i brought back from taiwan.. scaped it and it's been running for about a week.. pretty stable already.

Setup:
~1g tray
pool sand + SMS/Flourite
red sea nano
13w clip on cfl
rocks from a waterfall in Ithaca, NY
nets that I use to tie down moss on rocks
a branch from the park

live stuff:
snails
MTS
4 feeder minnow + fry
riparium supply plant package
moss ball
taiwan/xmas/java moss mix
riccia
hygro
marselus minuta [sp.]

My fake water fall lol.. trying to hide the hob.. it's moss and riccia net to a rock supporting the hob filter from underneath

Some Riparium plants and other assorted plants are setup on a small mound of substrate from my 60P.. the rest of the tank is pool sand.

I bought these suckers just for kicks.. cost me a whole 45 cents.. Feeder Minnows.. I made sure they didn't have any ick or whatever since the feeders are never healthy.. these guys have been in the tank since the day I set it up.. they are soo happy to be alive and not in a turtle's stomach lol.. I even had fry already.. there's 1 or 2 fry I see every now and then. I didn't know they were livebearers..?

I'm not 100% set with the scape yet.. I feel something is missing..? I have some HC and dwarf hairgrass I might throw in.. not sure yet..

By final tank addition, I mean I promised the GF I won't be adding any new tanks to our very very small city apartment.. I did a recent renovation of the living room and moved my tanks around. ADA 60P, ADA Mini-S, and shallow tray.
I do have other tanks at my parent's.. 2.5g bow, 5.5g, 10g, and 2 trays I'm using to grow out plants.

Left to Right..
Tray, Mini-S (Center), 60P (behind fridge)
No need to turn on any lights at night =)

·
Registered
229 Posts
very nice thing you done with the small tray. your apartment is very nice i wouldn't consider it small. At least you have your very own nice apapartment and a very nice car. Your girlfriend sounds alot like mine! Mine say, "no more tanks okay!, you have too many".

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Dude, I want your apartment.

As to your tray, it looks a little ... dark. I think it needs some more time to mature, once the riccia grows in it should look much nicer.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Very cool! The tray looks great. I wish those were available here. I'm sure the scape will get better and better, but I think what you have already looks great.

I think a small amount of java fern in the back right corner and some anubias nana petite, tucked in to the rock wall on the front left would pop off really well.

Sweet projection system too. That's awesome

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
That setup looks pretty BA, and I have to agree that the apartment also looks pretty BA.
I totally feel ya on the lights thing too. Just between my 2 tanks in my room and my computer screen, the whole room is lit up!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Personally, I think Id ditch the fish in favor of something like a dwarf cray, or a newt, or something else that might come above the water line sometimes.

Edit: Though now that I think about it, I can totally see a cray, crab, newt, or anything else easily crawling out of that tank and dying on the floor of your apartment. So forget my idea. :)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personally, I think Id ditch the fish in favor of something like a dwarf cray, or a newt, or something else that might come above the water line sometimes.

Edit: Though now that I think about it, I can totally see a cray, crab, newt, or anything else easily crawling out of that tank and dying on the floor of your apartment. So forget my idea. :)

I was thinking bout a pair of cray also but I was afraid it would get out and my dog would get to it :tongue:
What bout one of those highly illegal mini turtles? I just don't know where to get them. I use to see them in Chinatown all the time :hihi:

what type of projector is that and what did it cost you?

I like the tank BTW
It's a epson 6100. I got it on sale a few weeks ago for 1600. It's going for around 1900-2100 right now shipped though.
It's 1080P, my place is small so I only have a ~76" diagonal screen. My friend has the same projector and does a ~110" screen with it. I use to have a 50" 1080P dlp but I had to ditch it to save alot of space. Projector was one of my major renovations, I also had to rewire my whole apartment (I have a mediaserver/nas with ~7TB of blueray rips) and my htpc/xbox/reciever are all on the opposite wall of the screen now. Repainted the wall with a diy projector screen paint etc.. changed up furniture also. You can PM me if you have any other Q's.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very cool! The tray looks great. I wish those were available here. I'm sure the scape will get better and better, but I think what you have already looks great.

I think a small amount of java fern in the back right corner and some anubias nana petite, tucked in to the rock wall on the front left would pop off really well.

Sweet projection system too. That's awesome
My first attempt was to put java fern over on that corner, but what I learned was my place is too dry and it died within 2 hours :icon_sad:

Might try that anubias petite though.

I asked my GF to pick up another tray for me and 2 nano 10cm cubes before she gets back here. I promised I wouldn't put them in the apartment though :hihi:

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Petite would probably also dry out like the java fern, it needs crazy high humidity.

Hey uh, you could always set up one of those trays at my place, I mean, I would do all the scaping and maintainence and posting about it and stuff, but thats about it. :hihi:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Those little turtles are still available in NYC's chinatown, you just have to know where to look. But turtles are too messy and destructive for an aquascaped tank. Maybe a fiddler crab or red claw crab? They're climbers too though. Oy.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Very cool, maybe add some more backround plants.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man HC is a pita to plant!! Friend gave me a cup of HC that I attempted to plant last night.. I just jumbled them into little messes and stuck them into the substrate.. hopefully it grows!

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
No baby turtles... People are so misinformed about their care needs. Turtles under 4" are illegal to own for legit reasons.

Anyway, nice setup!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
AzFishkid, you have a thousand posts!

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Hey Matt I only just ran into this. It looks great. Let me know if you have any questions about growing any of those plants I have a lot of experience with them.

Have you seen this other setup?

These photos were taken today...............August 16, 2009[/I][/SIZE]

·
Registered
145 Posts
Baby turtles aren't that hard. Here in Taiwan we buy the ones 2" big for about 1 dollar US. Mine is 3 years old now and about 8" in size. Just a filter, weekly water changes, light and a heater and all is well. Most people forget the heater and the water gets to cold or don't chanhe the water which allows them to get disease quickly.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
tcambell what part of TW are you from??

Hydro, that looks AWESOME. I had a plant die off but it's ok! I'm goingto see if any of the other plants you gave me are doing ok.. will plant them in the tray later. They are all recovering at a good rate.

I planted some HC around the tray.. unfortunately I suck at planting it and it's all floating now.. >=-(

tips?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts