The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have planeria starting in my shrimp tank. I bought a box of Safe-Guard. 3 packets 2 grams each. what is the correct procedure and dosing for a 40G breeder tank?

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
You can overdose it. You'll be fine by splittting it in piles, I think some people use a "pinch", but that's not accurate at all!

For planaria dose once today, then again in a week or so

For Hydra dose once today and change water after 72 hours

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can overdose it. You'll be fine by splittting it in piles, I think some people use a "pinch", but that's not accurate at all!

For planaria dose once today, then again in a week or so

For Hydra dose once today and change water after 72 hours
its hydra. how much water should be changed? thanks for all of your info!

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
I recommend a 20-40% change. Best thing to do is fill a 5 gallon bucket with tap water, dechlorinate, and put an airstone in the bucket on the first day then after 72 hours it'll be nice and aged for your water change. You don't need to do that, but its nice.

The fenbendazole degrades quickly in the presence of light and oxygen, so the amount of water changed isn't too critical. Some people don't do one at all

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It works beautifully, but if you have nerite snails you'll want to take them out of the tank first, as this can kill them as well. The hydra pull in their tentacles, day 2 there might be a few still clinging to the plants, day 3 they're gone.

·
Registered
223 Posts
when i used FenBendazole i tried to dilute it in a cup and then strain it into the tank with a paper towel. I didnt want the shrimp to eat it. but after several days all the hydra died.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
It's not by prescription, lots of places just keep it with the vet. just go.ask a vet to buy some for your aquarium, they won't say no
Here I think it is a vet only thing, no LFS's sell it at all. Same with flea meds and lots of other stuff, they are regulated different in Canada just like you guys in the states can't import netlea soil or buy Kinder Egg's for your kids because of some stupid 1938 FDA law. lol.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Google Panacur C. It's fenbendazole marketed as a canine dewormer. Works great. I hope you can find a vendor that will ship it to you. There are about 10-15 vendors selling it online. Pretty cheap, too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.