The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm currently setting up my first serious planted tank and am maintaining a journal here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/95607-chaos-20-gallon-long.html

Its a 20 gallon long, with 1.8 wpg of T-5 light. Im setting up pressurized CO2.

Currently the tank is sparsely planted and I will be adding 6 new plant types when I flood, including a few stems which are supposed to grow quickly. Between being relatively unplanted and lower light I was thinking of taking the info from the sticky and dividing it in half.

20~40gal (From the sticky)
50% H20 change-weekly
1/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
1/2 Tsp-GH booster once a week
5ml or 1/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
1-2ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

My 20 gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/8 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/32 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
1/2 Tsp-GH booster once a week (I believe I don't need to divide this)
1/32Tsp-Trace 3x a week
0.5mL -Fe/Iron 3x a week (I have dry chelated iron, how much of that do I need?)

I got some great liquid dosing bottles from GLA so I will mix up one bottle each with macros and micros so I can dose 30ml, 3x weekly.

As I will make up a month or so at a time I need to make sure it wont grow bacteria. I will keep these in the refrigerator and wont dechlorinate it if possible (not sure if that will cause a problem).

Does this make sense?

thanks, Chaos

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Back to basics:
Your tank is a high light tank, not a low light tank. Watts per gallon mean absolutely nothing when using T5 lighting. A 20L tank is 30" x 12" x 12". The only T5 light I know of that is a 36 watt fixture is the Coralife 30" T5NO fixture, using two 18 watt T5NO bulbs. T5NO bulbs give somewhat more than half the intensity that T5HO bulbs give, assuming they have the same reflectors. So, that 2 bulb fixture should be giving you about the same light as a one bulb T5HO light, assuming a 30 inch T5HO bulb fixture existed. And, one T5HO bulb will give about 100 micromols of PAR on a 12 inch high tank. That is high light intensity.

A high light tank should never be sparsely planted on start up. You need a heavily planted tank on start up to avoid algae problems, and those plants need non-limiting fertilizing and good CO2 concentration.

I suggest that you use the full EI dosage recommendations and get the CO2 level as high as you can in the tank without causing problems for the fish, along with good water flow in the tank to get the CO2 spread out to all of the plants.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back to basics:
Your tank is a high light tank, not a low light tank. Watts per gallon mean absolutely nothing when using T5 lighting. A 20L tank is 30" x 12" x 12". The only T5 light I know of that is a 36 watt fixture is the Coralife 30" T5NO fixture, using two 18 watt T5NO bulbs. T5NO bulbs give somewhat more than half the intensity that T5HO bulbs give, assuming they have the same reflectors. So, that 2 bulb fixture should be giving you about the same light as a one bulb T5HO light, assuming a 30 inch T5HO bulb fixture existed. And, one T5HO bulb will give about 100 micromols of PAR on a 12 inch high tank. That is high light intensity.

A high light tank should never be sparsely planted on start up. You need a heavily planted tank on start up to avoid algae problems, and those plants need non-limiting fertilizing and good CO2 concentration.

I suggest that you use the full EI dosage recommendations and get the CO2 level as high as you can in the tank without causing problems for the fish, along with good water flow in the tank to get the CO2 spread out to all of the plants.
Thanks Hoppy,

This is exactly what I needed to know. I was aware that the T5 lights were bright, but was not sure how bright. BTW, you got the right fixture.

Also, I got significantly more plant volume than I expected with the order so I would say the tank is well planted now (see below). I think im in good shape for the CO2 and OK for circulation, though Im going to add more soon. I will go ahead and fix the dosage.

The only question I have left is if I should dechlorinate the ferts solution. I think I will get much better accuracy if I mix up a bunch at a time, but dont want to grow mold.

Chaos

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.