The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2.5 nano with elgeria densa and microsword. no C02. 20watts for 9hrs/day. i picked up a bottle of Excel and bought Ferts from a member here (thanks Actioncia!)

i am still confused on how to set up the ferts, when to dose, and how much. he sent me 2 bags. in the PMs we exchanged he said he was sending 2 teaspoons of N and 2 teaspoons of P. the bags were marked Nitrate and KH2PO4. i'm not sure what they are. Potassium Nitrate (KN03?) and Potassium Phosphate? so how do i mix them and how much do i dose and when do i dose? i also need to know when and how much to use with the Excel..

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I have that same size nano tank. I mix into about 50 ml of water, 1/8 tsp of KNO3, 1/32 tsp of KH2PO4, and 2 ml of Excel. The I dose about a capful, which is 5 ml, every other day. In between I dose a mix of 1/32 tsp of CSM+B+extra iron in about 50 ml of water - 5 ml every other day. My light is about 27 watts, about 6 inches above the water, and I have blyxa japonica, rotala rotundifolia, petite anubias nana, and windelov Java fern in the tank. All plants doing very well.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Macro fertilizers are nitrates, phosphates, potassium and carbon. All of the rest are micro fertilizers, dosed in very small quantities, so used as a mixture of all of them called a trace element mix. Micros can be Flourish, or Tropika Plant Nutrition Liquid, or CSM+B (a powder), or others. The cheapest macros are from Greg Watson.com and are KNO3, KH2PO4, and possibly K2SO4. If your water is extremely soft, you can also use a GH booster, such as Seachem Equilibrium, or Greg's equivalent mixture.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so after talking with action cia some more i am getting somewhere. i think we agree on the fact that he sent me 2 tsp of KNO3 (potassium nitrate) and 2 tsp of KH2PO4 (mono potassium phosphate, i thought it was said potassium phosphate dibasic).

from what i gather micros, being that they are used in small quantities, can be put off for now. i need to get the macros going and the Excel.

so here is my EI plan...

1/8 tsp KNO3
1/32 tsp KH2PO4
50 ml H20.

mix this up and dose 5 ml every other day.
also dose 2ml of Excel every other day.

soon i'll get some flourish (micros?) and dose that everyother day as well..

is this a good place to start?? i really need to get this going as my plants are suffering..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so with minimal response here i just did it. this is what im doing

1/8 tsp KNO3
1/32 tsp KH2PO4
50 ml H20.

mix this up and dose 5 ml every other day.
also dose 2ml of Excel every other day.

saturday i started dosing. i skipped sunday and dosed again monday. today is tuesday and i'm sure now that its killing my anachris. i have 2 10w CF bulbs 2 inches above the 2.5 gallon. they are on for 9 hrs daily. the anachris grew like a weed before dosing. what gives?? please someone respond!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its killing the anachris? well why am i using it? will it benefit the microsword? will it do anything to combat algae? i now have BGA on my microswords.. this tank is failing by the minute and i need some input!

·
Registered
558 Posts
1.its killing the anachris? Most likely

2. well why am i using it? Only you can answer that

3. will it benefit the microsword? Most likely

4. will it do anything to combat algae? Yes

5. i now have BGA on my microswords.. excel "normally" does not help with BGA

this tank is failing by the minute and i need some input!

CO2 or get rid of the anachris and get a plant that is tolerant of excel. Cool little nano btw

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.