The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I recently started dosing pfertz nitrogen, I haven't tested my water for nitrates until now. The test is showing up very dark, I cant tell but it could be form 20 ppm to 110 ppm. I did a 25% water change earlier today and dosed with nitrogen after. Could the nitrogen dosing be messing with the test results or is the nitrogen dosing raising the nitrates?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will do another 25% water change tomorrow and skip the dosing then test the nitrates. If they are still too high Ill do the same thing the next day.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah well I just found a dead tetra on the ground. I'm assuming it jumped out due to the nitrates. I was dosing a pump of phertz nitrogen every day but need to get my nitrates down then start dosing every other day.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it was more on the 110 ppm side of things. I will calibrate my test kit tomorrow. I think the tetra jumped out of the tank due to the high nitrates. I went ahead and changed about 40% of the water and the test is now showing 0... I will run another just to be sure.

Edit: I just ran another test and it seems like it is now around 20 ppm. I will run another test tomorrow after I calibrate it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hoppy, Bottomfeeder, thanks for all the help. Hoppy, does your calibrating nitrate guide with the 1/4 teaspoon of KNO3 work the same if that 1/4 teaspoon is the liquid pfertz? I'm just wondering if the concentrations are the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts