The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the info I've found about creating a dosing schedule revolves around the EI method. The EI method, I've read, relies on regular water changes and co2. I'm only running 1.7 and 2 wpg T8 over a 40B and a 50 respectively. Can anybody point me to information on setting up a dosing regime to accomodate a low light, no co2 tank?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I'm not a pro at this by any means, but from all the research I've done I don't think fert dosing is necessary for a low maintenance tank (kinda defeats the purpose of keeping it low maintenance). From what I've read and learned, water changes should be enough to refresh many of the micro nutrients.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Depends on your plants. You could probably get away with just root tabs if you have only crypts and/or swords. If you have other types of plants, try googling PPS-Pro and see if it works for you.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Might google .."Tom Barr's NON CO2 method"
It work's well for low tech tank's, and adding a little fertilizer once a week or two, is no more difficult than feeding the fish.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
If you want to start with the EI method, but for low light, I would start by cutting the recipe in half, and you might decide to go with even less.

If you have a good substrate with reasonable CEC it will soak up a certain amount of the excess fertilizer and hold it in reserve.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I would think a little Seachem Envy and a little Seachem Propel maybe two or three times a week. I might add a little KCL along the way. You can get that at the Safeway. It is a salt substitute. You probably don’t need to add N or P.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts