The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to ask such a dumb question. I did a search and couldn't find any post.
On my small 26 gallon I rarely dosed NO3 because the high fish load took care of that. And P04 is easily dosed wet from stock solution. But on a larger tank I need to add KNO3 and have been getting some water out to mix it with, then pouring it back in. I can't imagine that its OK to just drop the powder (Greg Watson's) dry into the tank as fish might consume it.

So my question is, do you just drop your 1/2 teaspoon (or X amount) dry KNO3 powder directly in the tank on a non water change day, or do you scoop some water out of the tank to mix with it? Of course I would rather not have to raise the light and get water out if I don't have to.

Second question: All this assumes that one could not efficiently make a wet stock solution of KNO3, right? Thanks, bob

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Yep, just dissolve the pre-mesured dry KNO3 in a cup of water then pour it in. This stops the fish from eating it.

Your 2nd question: You definately can make a solution of KNO3, but most feel it's simpler to dry dose. The amount we use is enough to be measure, unlike phosphates and traces which we use such tiny amounts; these need to be in solutions. But a KNO3 solution will work if that's your preference.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
i mix it in a small cup of tank water first. not worth some fish getting a mouth full. i do the same with baking soda and potassium.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I suspected as much. bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts