The Planted Tank Forum banner

Dosing for Mosses (java,flame,taiwan,etc) @ the office with no fish/shrimp

972 8
Hi,

I keep random plants in the office and mostly add fertizer sticks every few months. My desk gets approximately 3 hours of direct sunlight in the morning and indirect the remainder of the day.

There's a plastic cup holding a portion of java moss from home. The moss is starting to look dull sitting in distilled water from our vending machine and likely lacking nutrients. Read that dosing Micros and Iron greatly help mosses...

Short of adding a betta to the container, I want find out what my options are to spruce it back up again. I have Seachem Excel, root tabs and osmocote available at home. Would any of these work? Is there something that ought be more targeted like potassium nitrate or some form of nitrate?

I'm looking for low maintenance at the office without any fish and shrimp (for now) and don't mind changing out the water each week if needed. Fertilizers are completely new to me so any advice would be appreciated. thanks
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
TDS 15
PH 6.9
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitride 0

Don't have the gh/kh test here with me. Its definitely needing something besides direct sun. The office is air conditioned so the water remains cool to the touch.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
There's a plastic cup holding a portion of java moss from home. The moss is starting to look dull sitting in distilled water from our vending machine and likely lacking nutrients.
I find it grows great with my city water because it likes the excess amounts of phosphates that the city has added it to the water.

The city water or mono potassium phosphate (KH2PO4) would help it.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so handy that i just picked up kh2po4 dry ferts yesterday!

Ive also been using miracle grow indoor ferts and have already seen new green growth in the past 10 days, more so than the last two months that these mosses / ricca have situated in the same window.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.