The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After setting up my discus tank {90 gallon} and planting it with the same plants from two of my 40gal. tanks but much more sparse because I want the whole front clear for the fish.It contains amazon swords,crypts,vals and blyxa japonica.I ei dose my other tanks and have co2 and decent lighting.The 90 gallon has no co2 but excel is used daily and less lighting than the others.The 90 gal' is dosed with a micro,macro mix daily at half strength and potassium and phosphate twice a week.So far all is good with the only algae being a little green spot on the glass which doesn't last long with the twice a week water change.I guess my question is do you dose for plant content or amount of water in the tank.Another words would you dose more for a 90 than a 40 if both had identical plant mass???

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I would say dose the same if the plant mass is the same, yes the ppm is lower but the plants will still use the same volume of frets., just keep in mind that if you dose that way, as the plants fill in you'll eventually end up with more biomass and will need to adjust accordingly.

Also this is just a guess, but with twice weekly water changes you might want to adjust your dosing regime to 1/2 dose macros in the morning, 1/2 dose micros at night instead of every other day that way you still end up with the same amount of ferts but don't have as much of a duration where the gets are lower after a water change

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
You dose for the volume of water. It has little to do with the amount you put in versus the plant uptake.

Let's assume you only need one Apple a day to survive. Now I'm going to tie you down with a one foot leash in the middle of two rooms. One is two feet by two feet, the other, two hundred feet by two hundred feet.

If I randomly toss one apple per day in both rooms which room would you rather live in?

Plants are no different. They're stationary. The higher the concentration of nutrients the more opportunity to obtain what they need. It' s all about the ppm not the amount added.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
Generally EI is not taking plant uptake into consideration. Thus your BIO mass should really not make any difference as long as you maintain your water changes weekly.
EI still is and always will be a way to keep your ferts in a level that none run out and the water change to prevent toxic levels ever will be reached.
Ofc plant uptake does have an effect on fert levels in the tank but it should not really be an issue with EI unless you are running crazy high CO2 and lighting.
I see no reason to not fine tune EI to reduce your fert usage but take it slow and have patience and watch how your plants react to the changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.